Looking for replacement bag for my Gaida....

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
benroeletsgo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Looking for replacement bag for my Gaida....

Post by benroeletsgo »

I am looking for a replacement bags for gaidas. I found one site "shop bulgaria" but i don't think $95 + 33 s&h is a reasonable price since i can buy a whole new gaida for that just about not to mention i was warned to avoid that website by a friend who had had a few bad dealings with them. So, can anyone help?
CHasR

Re: Looking for replacement bag for my Gaida....

Post by CHasR »

Assuming you are in search of a goatskin bag? They kill goats & cure the skins in late spring, maybe price will change by then.
May I ask what condition your current bag is in? There are several remedies one can make.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

I believe Sean Folsom has been known to make a skin or two.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Try this site: http://www.kabagaida.com/
I'm quite sure they can also supply bags for a djura gaida, if that's what you have.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Exactly what I was thinking! About Sean Folsom I mean. He made the bag on my Rodopa Gaida and it's still tight after all these years.

Though isn't it about time for somebody to start making GoreTex gaida bags? They make them for Highland pipes and Spanish pipes and smallpipes and such.

I would think that Michael MacHarg could probably make a wonderful "elkhide" bag which would last forever.

I have seen a pattern for making a gaida bag out of ordinary leather; it had the seam running up the top side of the bag, the hole for the blowpipe having seams on both sides, in order to create the shape of the bag extending up so that the gaida's short blowpipe can be reached by the player.

With a cylindrical bag (such as is used for Highland pipes) you would need a much longer blowpipe, I would think.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

pancelticpiper wrote:Though isn't it about time for somebody to start making GoreTex gaida bags?
They actually do - I guess this one was made by the Canmore Company.
I don't know where to get them, though - although it might well be worth it asking the company.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
benroeletsgo

Post by benroeletsgo »

Well thanks for that info, but I've decided I want to sell the gaida as parts. It's an antique and in the old tuning style. Great for a folk instrument collector.... I've decided to invest my money and time into a set of smallpipes. I'll get more use out of them. If you know of anyone who's interested in the antique djura gaida parts let me know. I also posted it on craigslist yesterday. two chanters, 1.5 drones, two mouthpieces, with horn bone animal claws...it's a really neat find!