Tradisiun

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Cayden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Tradisiun

Post by Cayden »

I was wondering if someone might help me with the proper phonetic pronounciation of the word "tradisiun". It would be most deeply appreciated.

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
fearfaoin

Re: Tradisiun

Post by fearfaoin »

Doesn't it sound exactly like "Tradition"?
Seems like it should.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Start first with the proper spelling and marks: traidisiún. In Irish, these things absolutely count when it comes to pronunciation, but the result will often vary according to regional custom.

I'm guessing a reasonable "generic" go at it would be something around "TRAD yish oon" or "TRAD jish oon". Be sure to flap your R, here.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Nanohedron wrote:Start first with the proper spelling and marks: traidisiún. In Irish, these things absolutely count when it comes to pronunciation, but the result will often vary according to regional custom.

I'm guessing a reasonable "generic" go at it would be something around "TRAD yish oon" or "TRAD jish oon". Be sure to flap your R, here.

Nanohedron,

Thank you much!

Slainte,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sure thing. Of course, I wait for Redwolf's blessing on my rendering, but I think it's close enough for Horseshoes. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Nanohedron wrote:Start first with the proper spelling and marks: traidisiún. In Irish, these things absolutely count when it comes to pronunciation, but the result will often vary according to regional custom.

It's almost exactly like English: tra-JISH-oon (no need to flap that "r," as it's broad). It's an exception to the the "emphasis on the first syllable" rule because it's a loan word from English...it's just spelled phonetically (well, as phonetically as possible).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, thanks. Just when you think you've nailed it...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Red ... I'm wondering, why then does the u in traidisiún take a fada? Wouldn't it be closer to the English pronunciation without it? Or is it simply the spelling convention to represent the English -tion ending as -siún?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:I think it's close enough for Horseshoes. :)
For your lovely horse, no doubt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I only like horses at a distance; otherwise they freak me out. They're too big and they have big teeth.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:I only like horses at a distance; otherwise they freak me out. They're too big and they have big teeth.
The last horse I tried to befriend was standing in a field beside the Hill of Tara. Where, after patiently listening to me wax eloquent about the historical significance of his grazing ground, he attempted to bite my hand off. Apparently, he thought that would be lovely.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Historic, too. I can see it now: from the Chiff Cycle, the story of MTGuru of the One Hand, who lost it reciting poetry to a demon horse on the Hill of Tara.

I think it works, actually...
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:Red ... I'm wondering, why then does the u in traidisiún take a fada? Wouldn't it be closer to the English pronunciation without it? Or is it simply the spelling convention to represent the English -tion ending as -siún?
My guess is it's a back-spelling from "traidisiúnta" (traditional)...and I can't really think of a rule as to why it has to be there in that word, other than that a short "u" just doesn't sound right there.

There does seem to be a trend of representing the English -tion/-sion as -siún..."seisiún" being another example.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!