digital Piper - happy with the vPipes

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Christian Tietje
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

digital Piper - happy with the vPipes

Post by Christian Tietje »

After half a year of playing my vPipes I'm quiet happy with it.

At first trial two or three years ago I though, "Well not bad, but the real Pipes are better, no doubt." (... and that's still true). But around Christmas I had an idea: It would be great to use them to be able to play at night or during holidays, while until then for me it was not possible to play like at skiing, staying in a hotel or on a camping site. So I ordered one and got the set around May 2013.

Now I'm happy! I can play as often as I want i.e. at 2300 hrs/by my ear phone. The sound is pretty realistic, sampled Rowsome Set, everytime perfectly in tune, playable in every key I want/tuneable up and down by semitones, drones in e for e-minor-tunes. Sometimes I play amplified. That sound is not perfect, but added by effects, reverb, echo, just and balanced intonation.

Is anybody out there who as an experience about vPipes?
Christian Tietje
bobkeenan

Re: digital Piper - happy with the vPipes

Post by bobkeenan »

I am a gadget freak. So i had to have one of these and bought one earlier in the year. I did have a problem with sensors falling out. And did have to send it back to Spain. But it was not as big a deal as I thought and i got the vpipes back within a week. They are not my main instrument to play as the real pipes sound so much better. But having said that i have used them and will continue to. My wife had a hospital procedure that took several hours...so in the waiting room.... I am playing away. And i did not notice anyone staring at me. Been on a couple of vacations with my family where bringing the full set is cumbersome and my family will not put up with my playing very long (beginner) but i can play these pipes in my ear as long as i want. I also have a little jambox so that if no one is around i run the music into those intstead of the earphones. We have a 2 wk cruise coming up next year. I am pretty sure that i would not be allowed to play on the ship.....2 wks of not playing....i would really miss it. But the vpipes pack easy and now i can play every day.

I think the fingering is similar enough that it adds to my playing capability. And its always in perfect tune and playability no matter what the weather!
m muir
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by m muir »

I'd love a set of v pipes for the very reasons the both of you have outlined (ability to play on holidays, in campsites, resorts, hotels and late at night) and aim to get a set myself one day but they aren't cheap! So I will have to hold off a year or two especially as I'm saving for a bass reg on my Andy Faden D set in about a year's time.
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I have a set too! I love that I can pick them up on a whim and try and pick out a tune that has caught my ear, without everyone hearing my fumblings. They're portable and discreet as has been mentioned. I take mine to work and practice in tea breaks and lunchtimes. They have definitely helped to accelerate my learning. Well worth the money I invested in them.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I'd love to spend more than a few minutes with a set of vPipes. Kevin Carr and I did a duo together at the 2011 SCUPC tionol with him on the vPipes and me on my Uilleann Classic app for the iPad:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eskin/5163688062/

Here's more info and demos of the app. It's not anywhere near as sophisticated or as amazing as the vPipes, but if you have an iPad and $2.99, it's does a pretty good job of filling a similar role, something to practice on in headphones when it wouldn't be possible to play the real instrument:

http://www.tradlessons.com/UilleannClassic.html

Cheers,

Michael
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Have anyone tested the Vpipes as a midi controller with the "Studio piper" software?
http://www.epipes.co.uk/software.html

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I didn't realise V pipes were still available to buy.

For some reason I thought they had stopped trading but that would seem to be not the case.
I bet there will be plenty of people interested in buying them....unless overly expensive.
It doesn't say how much they are on the site, does it??

http://www.vpipes.com/

....nobody said this would be easy......

DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

boyd wrote:I didn't realise V pipes were still available to buy.

For some reason I thought they had stopped trading but that would seem to be not the case.
I bet there will be plenty of people interested in buying them....unless overly expensive.
It doesn't say how much they are on the site, does it??

http://www.vpipes.com/
It does when you go to this page: http://www.vpipes.com/description : 1490 euro excluding vat/shipping cost
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There is a second hand set available on my website:

http://uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html#286

Patrick
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

Tried to buy that one,beware!wants more than what a new Vpipe would cost.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

chanterdan wrote:Tried to buy that one,beware!wants more than what a new Vpipe would cost.
???

The seller wants 1,800.00 USD = 1,357.06 EUR

The retail price of the vPipes-Uilleann according to their web site is 1,490 Euros (not including VAT and delivery costs). Did you miss the "$" sign Dan? :poke:

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

The seller with appears to have changed his asking price from the $1800 in the Uilleann Obsession ad. By email he asked for 1850 euros, which even to my untrained eye, appears to be considerably more than 1490 euros. One can hope that the seller just mistyped both the number and the currency in his email to me. Or one can fear that he is trying his luck. I am with Dan.....

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

I had already paid him,1850 us,he wanted Euros,then I contacted Vpipes.1490 Euros,is the price new.

DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

chanterdan wrote:I had already paid him,1850 us,he wanted Euros,then I contacted Vpipes.1490 Euros,is the price new.

and now? you can get your money back or?
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

Got it back,told him to cancel it out,and would pay him in euros,not! LoL