Private Parts

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Private Parts

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I learned the Patrick Street one because it seemed efficient at the time -- IIRC it's got 7? 8? parts? Anyway, it might be a total mashup but I always enjoyed listening to Patrick Street's playing of it.

I imagine there's a learned treatise on P O'R somewhere; I might just go looking for that. I'll let you know if I turn anything up.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I think the Patrick Street version is the same as Kevin Burke's version here:
http://thesession.org/tunes/741
(3rd version, and further down in the comments)
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I have only heard Over the Moor to Maggie played with three parts, never two. Clearly I don't hang out with the cool trad people who are 'in the know'. :wink:

I have encountered a third part to the Frost is All Over. Was it Lancaster? Can't remember where or who played it.

There's a strathspey in D I play sometimes with a fiddler in Glasgow. We play two parts but Natalie MacMaster has a third part on one of her recordings that adds a whole 'nother level of difficulty to the tune. We don't play that.

Who knows all 17 parts to the Mason's Apron?
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

I've only ever heard it as 3 parts too SilverSpear (hope your well stranger!)
Personally I'll not be leaving out any parts because someone else thinks they're uncool...
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I really need to get my lazy butt back up your way, bogman, preferably on a Thursday (which is awkward with D's work schedule :( ). I was there back in June on a weekend, but not with music people and would have felt bad subjecting my friend, who was driving, to a session where he couldn't even sit around and get pissed.

We can play all three parts to Over the Moor. :D
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

You're not going to be up north next week then, dr the spear? :)
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

We are going somewhere, possibly Kintail way, Monday and Tuesday. Be nice if the mountain forecast for the Northwest weren't pants. :/
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

The forecasts have been pretty inaccurate here actually. Lots of fog and mist they say but it's been really good and clear most days.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

MWIS says thunderstorms and heavy showers.

To bring the thread back on topic, how many parts to the Misty Mountain and is it socially acceptable to play them?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Is it socially acceptable to play The Misty Mountain at all? :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

Speaking of extra limbs (in this case frostbitten ones), I've heard a third part to "The Frost is All Over," too. Can't remember where, but it's nice. Something like AFF dFF AFD E2F DFA AFA Bee E3 ... etc.? The karaoke machine in my head thinks there was a box player involved.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

TheSilverSpear wrote:Who knows all 17 parts to the Mason's Apron?
A or G? ;-)
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Is it socially acceptable to play The Misty Mountain at all? :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

Speaking of extra limbs (in this case frostbitten ones), I've heard a third part to "The Frost is All Over," too. Can't remember where, but it's nice. Something like AFF dFF AFD E2F DFA AFA Bee E3 ... etc.? The karaoke machine in my head thinks there was a box player involved.
No, probably not if you didn't want to be laughed at. I'm sure I saw "The Mist-covered Mountain" in the list of "Patently uncool tunes you can't play at sessions because everyone will think you're a big loser who doesn't know many tunes."

That is the third part of the Frost is all Over that I have heard as well.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Patrick Street's "Paudin O'Rafferty"

Post by kenny »

...has 5 parts, and is in "A" major.

http://thesession.org/tunes/8088
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Thanks Kenny, I thought I'd seen it at thesession. It is indeed yet another version, although if I learned it, I'd probably put it in G.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Slightly off topic, but yet another version of "Paddy Rafferty's" [sic ] has been recorded on this recently-released CD, which I thoroughly recommend :

http://thesession.org/recordings/4438

The sleeve notes say - "This jig was played by my uncle Paddy O'Rafferty, a larger than life character who played with "The Jackie Hearst Trio" and played in the Newry Comhaltas alongside the young Seamus Sands".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"