The Mary Bergin Whistle Tutor

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The Mary Bergin Whistle Tutor

Post by Mr.Gumby »

ah? those fipples can be acquired somewhere alone?
No. You buy a Sindt, chuck the tube and replace it with any old one you like.

As long ago described here by Bloomfield : Hybrid Sindt

Bergin, like many whistle players, has form where it comes to swapping heads and tubes to get nicer combinations.
My brain hurts

Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Mary is the first person also all whistlers refer to as their influence. I should think she will sell plenty of her tutor books, even at that price. It's clearly a case of making something worthwhile, not something to a price point - she isn't a supermarket.

Afterall, the Grey Larson book isn't cheap and Mary's tutor book is cheaper than three, hour long, music lessons on any instrument. I hope it is more accessible than Larson who I find wearies me.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Tor

Post by Tor »

I ordered vol. 1, I can't imagine ever getting to a level where vol. 2 would be required. Was apparently shipped a couple of days ago, so hopefully it'll be in my hands soon.

-Tor
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Cayden wrote:I was fortunate enough to have been a guest at last night's house party and the concert by Mary Bergin. As a whistle player and one who is "Mad for Trad", it was nothing less than OUTSTANDING!!! To have the opportunity to watch Mary play in such a small an intimate venue was beyond my wildest whistling fantasies.
S'funny, my wildest whistling fantasies feature Andrea and a motorbike....
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I received Book 1 this morning and am VERY excited by its contents. Although I might've been able to get away with starting on Book 2, the idea of starting at the beginning with Mary decided me. In its 92 pages, she doesn't go far in terms of what most of you will have experienced but its "thoroughness" is what separates it from other tutors e.g teaching when and where to use tonguing. Just a quick glance inside has already cleared my mind on cuts, whole C&F thread on which only confused me further. She teaches in this volume on Double Note Cuts (DNCs) where the main note starts and finishes the cuts. Single Note Cuts (SNCs) are covered in Book 2. I'm hoping I'll be ready for that book by Christmas or earlier. First class, Mary. Thank you.

For those who still think the tutors pricey, the purchase of a book comes with a membership number that will allow access to a "club" section of her web-site (not up and running yet) where she will provide further lessons, pointers, on-line master classes etc!! Get's better and better.
Tor

Post by Tor »

I wrote:I ordered vol. 1, I can't imagine ever getting to a level where vol. 2 would be required. Was apparently shipped a couple of days ago, so hopefully it'll be in my hands soon.
I take that back, I'll need vol. 2 as well.. just received vol. 1. I'll be jumping in somewhere near the middle (it's 92 pages), while checking now and then the earlier parts. The book looks great, it can be laid flat (spiral-wound, always good when you need your hands for something else). As far as content goes it's straight to the point, not too much text to wade through - certainly not intimidating to the beginner. Well worth it and I'll buy the next volume later.

-Tor
sindtman84
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by sindtman84 »

These tutorials from Mary are indeed wonderful resources and learning tools. I will be using some of the tips and ideas myself to my own whistle students. From Ireland's Queen of the whistle and with so much teaching and performing experience, you can't go wrong with these gems.

Just one quick point and question, I am intrigued by Mary's term for rolls: first frame rolls and second frame rolls. Can anyone shed any light on what second frame rolls entail or what Mary means by the difference between first frame and second frame? I myself usually put rolls in two categories, long and short if I'm being honest.

Enda

PS: Whilst undertaking my Masters in Traditional Music Performance at UL, I had the pleasure of spending two full days with Mary, playing music, chatting and interviewing her for a style analysis project. She is not just a fantastic musician, but also an absolute lady and a pleasure to spend time with. Pity I didn't ask her about the first frame and second frame roll thing though!
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

She teaches short rolls separately so I can only imagine the second frame rolls are long rolls not played on the main beat. Grey Larsen writes about them is his tome. Not sure what else they could be.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

A tutorial that needs a tutorial.

Laughing respectfully... :lol:
Tor

Post by Tor »

In vol. 1 she writes that 'second frame rolls' will be explained in vol. 3. I don't see 'first frame rolls', or rolls at all mentioned in vol. 1.

-Tor
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

At the end of Vol 1 (page 89) speaking of the contents of Vol 3, she writes that: "second frame rolls . . . are an integral part of most Reels. Accurate timing and emphasis within these second frame rolls is critical to the overall rhythm and flow of the tune. Achieving this accuracy can be major challenge." Hence my earlier assumption. She also lists short rolls and cranns and variants of both long and short rolls as part of the contents too.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Got mine in today's post. Looks very nice; looking forward to spending some time with it.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
sindtman84

Post by sindtman84 »

How silly of me. You would think I should know after over 20 years of playing! Yes Mikethebook I'm fairly sure the second frame roll is the roll off the beat that is used mostly exclusively for reels.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

sindtman84 wrote:These tutorials from Mary are indeed wonderful resources and learning tools. I will be using some of the tips and ideas myself to my own whistle students. From Ireland's Queen of the whistle and with so much teaching and performing experience, you can't go wrong with these gems.

PS: Whilst undertaking my Masters in Traditional Music Performance at UL, I had the pleasure of spending two full days with Mary, playing music, chatting and interviewing her for a style analysis project. She is not just a fantastic musician, but also an absolute lady
and a pleasure to spend time with.!

I fully concur with Enda regarding his perspective on Mary Bergin, an absolute treasure among whistle musicians and a truly delightful person to spend time with. Mary's musical presentation was nothing short of completely masterful and she took the time to share her knowledge and love for ITM giving a historical perspective of the origin of many of the compositions she played. Mary Bergin is in every way, a wonderful ambassador for ITM.

Mary's tutorial volumes are an incredible resource for any whistle player aspiring to become more proficient on the instrument. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
msheald
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by msheald »

Hello! I'm curious about the early reviews! What do folks think of the book after starting to use it?

Mike