quick Becker whistle review (low G and A)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dspmusik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

quick Becker whistle review (low G and A)

Post by dspmusik »

i have multi-instrumentalist student who is interested in low whistle, and low D is a bit too big of a stretch for him as of now. as i was shopping low cost alto whisltes, Beckerwhistles.com came up. James makes a Bb, A and G for only $12 and $5 shipping to the US. gotta be worth a try right?
yes! non tunable PVC with a wood plug, they were right in tune (including cross fingered Cnat), and easy to play up to the 2nd high B (if they were D whistles.... which they're not...)
i taped them off and gave them a quick coat of spray paint, and as soon as they dry they'll look as good as they play.
so, if you're looking to experiment with whistle in general, work your way to low D by playing some alto keys (which i recommend to get a feel for piper's grip), or just have a certain key you need for a project and don't want to lay down big dough for a Burke or MK (what i usually play), check out the Becker whistles.
volume was medium and pretty balanced, bell note was not weak, didn't have to blast the top B. tone was pleasant and just slightly airy.
well worth the $12.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Jleo Fipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: quick Becker whistle review (low G and A)

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Thanks for the quick review and a question did you lacquer the paint job? Just thinking that paint will wear of quite quickly.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jleo Fipple wrote:Just thinking that paint will wear of quite quickly.
Depends on what type of paint you use. The Becker whistles are PVC. Krylon, probably others, make spray paints now that stick very well to plastics. These are designed to be used to re-paint things like PVC lawn furniture. Works rather well.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jleo Fipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Good to know Feadoggie, thanks for the reply :D
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

yep, just the Rustoleum spray paint. i've had great success with it on whistles. has lasted for years on my Parks whistles.
side note, Sharpe does NOT work. i had a very talented artist friend do an awesome sharpe design... and it smeared and faded within a few hours. i was only led to believe it would work from another PVC whistle manufacture that recommended it.
oh well.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

dspmusik wrote:Sharpe does NOT work. i had a very talented artist friend do an awesome sharpe design... and it smeared and faded within a few hours. i was only led to believe it would work from another PVC whistle manufacture that recommended it.
The Sharpie will work on many types of PVC and some CPVC. One of the characteristics of many PVC formulations is that it actually absorbs the marker ink into the surface of the plastic. How well it does that may depend on the particular color and the amount of thinner/evaporative in the ink of that pen at the time. But some PVC pipe has a hard surface coating for UV protection, furniture grade pipe for instance, to which the ink won't stick well.

I've been collecting autographs signed with a Sharpie from whistle/flute players on the tubes of my homemade CPVC whistles for ten years or so. They've held up quite well. Of course I don't not play those whistles or subject them to the usual environmental treats my players are subjected to.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

good to know. i guess i'll update that. don't Sharpie a Parks whistle :oops:
maybe sanding lightly first would help?