Tablet talk

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Thomaston
antispam: No

Tablet talk

Post by Thomaston »

I'm looking at the possibility of using a tablet at session to help keep track of all my tunes, especially to help remember those first couple of measures.
I've got Tunepal, but the dots are damn hard to see on my iPod screen. I also have Fionn Seisun 1 and 2 in pdf form to pull from.
I'm considering an iPad or Samsung. The iPad Mini is a possibilty too, but I've been told that it can even be difficult to see the dots well at times.
Anyone have any experience/advice?

I also plan to do a good bit of writing on this, which has me wondering if I should consider a Microsoft Surface.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Tablet talk

Post by Tunborough »

I have a 10" Samsung tablet. I've used it often for reading documents, with good results, although I haven't tried reading music from it.

For writing, it's not so good, because the virtual keyboard has no navigation keys on it. The only way I've found to re-position the cursor in your text is by pointing with your finger... not at all precise enough for my taste.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I use my iPad for all that you're looking for. I use iWriteMusic to poke in dots and FourScore for reading everything. I even have Foinn Session 1, 2, and 3 in there and a lot more. In fact, I use my iPad for all my church work.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

A correction ... The Samsung does have a Swype keyboard that gives access to a full range of cursor movement keys. Looks like a good keyboard even if you don't use the Swype capability.

Thanks for asking. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have found this keyboard.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I could have sworn I saw a Belkin keyboard with cursor keys that is iPad-compatible. I'll see if I can find it again.
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

I always thought that any bluetooth keyboard is iPad compatible. :o
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Got the iPad, and it's been perfect so far. Incidentally, I now have a Kindle Paperwhite I won't be using anymore since I'm using the iPad app now. If anyone wants a good deal on a Kindle, send me a PM. :)
Tor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tor »

I briefly tried reading music off my Asus Transformer Infinity some time ago as I didn't know the music and didn't have the sheet, but I happened to have it on my tablet. Worked great, easy to read. 10.1" screen. HD resolution (1920x12something) but it would look the same on my other tablet I'm sure, a Transformer Prime1024x768 and otherwise the same.

For practical use I would have to either increase the timeout for the screen going to sleep, or use a viewer which keeps it on. I didn't use any dedicated app as it wasn't something I had planned.

The great thing with the transformers is that for real keyboard use I just plug it in. Then it's like a clamshell device. The keyboard is better than the one on my notebook computer. Best of all worlds.

-Tor
stanton135
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

I use an app called Tunebook on my iPod touch. I can see the dots just fine, but my eyes are young. I like Tunebook very much. It doesn't have the powerful editing tools that Barfly does, but I much prefer the interface. There's a version designed for the iPad-sized screen.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Never heard of tunebook. I'll go check that out. Thanks for the info!