It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:50 am 

What about something like a Xaphoon but with a double reed instead? I just got a Clarineau by Kunath and I would like to have a double reed on it. Is it possible?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:47 am 

It is definitely not possible to fit a double reed to a clarineau, or xaphoon, or any other clarinet-related instrument.
A double reed requires a much narrower bore - be it tapered or cylindrical - something like 4 - 6 mm at the narrowest point, as opposed to the clarineau bore which I suppose is in the area of 10 - 13 mm.
A musette might be what you are looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oboe_musette (not to be confused with the musette de cour, which is a French bagpipe from the Renaissance period)
or, if you want a cylindrical bore and therefore, lower pitch and lower volume, a cornamusa (although this has a windcap): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornamuse (again, not to be confused with the cornemuse, which is today's Central French bagpipe)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 am 

Thanks! I'll play around with my guan, suona, and duduk for now.
It would be great to have a product on the market that's like the kunath clarineau, which can play the chromatic scale and have it be small, and recorder-finger friendly, but for oboe. The standard oboe is too big as a casual instrument.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:36 am 

I completely forgot about the instruments of the dudk/mey family - you can actually try to fit the duduk reed into the clarineau (plumbers' tape miht help) and see what happens - it might be possible, after all!