Clarineau / Xaphoon but with a double reed

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
meoweth
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Clarineau / Xaphoon but with a double reed

Post by meoweth »

What about something like a Xaphoon but with a double reed instead? I just got a Clarineau by Kunath and I would like to have a double reed on it. Is it possible?
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Clarineau / Xaphoon but with a double reed

Post by MichaelLoos »

It is definitely not possible to fit a double reed to a clarineau, or xaphoon, or any other clarinet-related instrument.
A double reed requires a much narrower bore - be it tapered or cylindrical - something like 4 - 6 mm at the narrowest point, as opposed to the clarineau bore which I suppose is in the area of 10 - 13 mm.
A musette might be what you are looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oboe_musette (not to be confused with the musette de cour, which is a French bagpipe from the Renaissance period)
or, if you want a cylindrical bore and therefore, lower pitch and lower volume, a cornamusa (although this has a windcap): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornamuse (again, not to be confused with the cornemuse, which is today's Central French bagpipe)
meoweth

Post by meoweth »

Thanks! I'll play around with my guan, suona, and duduk for now.
It would be great to have a product on the market that's like the kunath clarineau, which can play the chromatic scale and have it be small, and recorder-finger friendly, but for oboe. The standard oboe is too big as a casual instrument.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

I completely forgot about the instruments of the dudk/mey family - you can actually try to fit the duduk reed into the clarineau (plumbers' tape miht help) and see what happens - it might be possible, after all!