tweak suggestions for a harmonic squeak.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Plowboy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

tweak suggestions for a harmonic squeak.

Post by Plowboy »

I know there are threads here on tweaking. But, I wanted to ask. How can I get rid of this harmonic squeak and too much chiff.
I bought a set of Generation Nickle plated. I have only worked on the D. I did the usual basic stuff. Poster tack the cave and made it level with the bottom end of the windway making sure it does not go up the side or extend past the bottom of the windway. There was no flashing in the wind way, so that was good. I removed the side flashing and injection mold nubs between the fipple and the splitter. The ends of the tube are true and not crimped in or anything. No flashing under the splitter. I did take off some of the bottom edge from the top of the windway to make it flush with the bottom. Everything I have done has made it progressivley better but it still "blows". I was careful with my work using and exacto and eyeloops. No rough areas to speak of were left behind. I have used these same techniques successfully on 2 feadogs and a waltons mellow D. I switched both Feadog heads to the barrel and that is good. My son said it sounds like two whistles... Not in a good way though. I noticed the distance of the window is longer than my Feadogs. My other Nickle Gens pretty much sound the same. I don't want to do anything to those until I get this D straightened out. The Eb head is the same way. It sounds worse because I have done nothing to it. I really hope I can get some help. I would hate to think I wasted $60. They do look pretty though.
Would lengthening the windway to close the window help? I can do some pretty metticulous and presicion work. Even if I can't spell it.
Thank you in advance.
Mr.Gumby

Re: tweak suggestions for a harmonic squeak.

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If they all do it, consider if it could be you. They should play decent as bought.
My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

A bit like buying a diamond, and it's too shiny ... :wink:

The chirp is what trad players prize in the Generations. There are plenty of other whistles out there that are dull as dishwater, if that's what you want. But maybe not in the keys you want, or as cheap.

Chirp is largely a function of the hole placement exploiting inharmonic elements generated by the head. You can probably reduce chirp by dulling the blade to a fare-thee-well. But you'll end up with a whistle that no experienced Generation fan would ever want to play.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
maki

Post by maki »

If you don't mind the question, how long have you been playing whistles?
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

I've been playing whistle about 2-3 months. I know I am new to this. My feadogs play really well as does my Walton. I have an older Feadog with no bump on the splitter top that I love. I have a new Oak C that is really nice sounding that I have done nothing to and an old brass Gen C that plays decent. I have tried altering breathing techniques on them. I have a tuner and set adjust them to D. I have been playing various wind instruments for quite a while off and on as the fancy hits me. It could be me, but I don't think so much so. They shouldn't be that much difference between them. Should there. Two Feadog styles, Oak and Waltons.
If I need to do any different breath techniques for this style, I'll try it. I have some of that chiff in my other whistles. This is just way too much.
I appreciate your responses greatly.
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

I am away from home right now. I will try to get a clip of me playing my D whistles Sunday or Monday so as to have a more clear understanding of what I am describing. The written word cannot accurately describe music. That will also give more knowledge of my ability and hopefully give me some technique tips. I take constructive critisism very well. I want to excel.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Plowboy wrote:I will try to get a clip of me playing my D whistles Sunday or Monday
Great, we'll look forward to your clip!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

here is a clip of the harmonic I was trying to describe with my tweaked Gen.

https://soundcloud.com/patrick-plowboy- ... e-harmonic

The more I play it, the more control I have over avoiding it. It is super sensative compared to my other 3 D's. There is a tight window of breaking. When I can get a clear tone, I can hear a lot of air rushing through. That's hard to pick up on my Guitar Hero USB mic. though.
When I practice the Irish Washerwoman it squeaks so much more than my other 3.

Edited part. So, I think this is just going to have to be something that I am going to have to learn better breathe control on. The more I play, the better I am starting to learn to control it. It's just that the Feadogs seem to be much more suited to my style for now.(easier to play) As I play more and get the hang of the Generation, I am discovering it has a different voicing to it. Sort of like my Waltons Mellow D has in the opposite direction.(which I have to play slightly differently) I have to keep reminding myself that I can be impatient at times and need to slow down.
Still receptive to tips or anything to help out..
No need to tell me to keep practicing. It's become a bit of an obsession.
Thank again.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're definitely greatly overblowing your whistle. Ease off, breathe into it.
My brain hurts

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

If I blow into it softly it squeaks abominably. I really have to force to get the high end to switch or it wiavers like that.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

I'm trying to find that cartoon with the computer technician saying to the office worker, "My mistake, ma'am, you were right all along - it just doesn't like you."

But seriously, folks, how often have we had the "I know I'm new to the whistle, but every brand X whistle I pick up is a dud."

Just curious, but why are you buying so many different brands of whistle? Maybe it'd be better to concentrate on sounding good on one whistle first before exploring different brands?
maxnew40

Post by maxnew40 »

I am glad I didn't try to learn on the genreation whistle that I have. I have similar issues with the generation that I bought but am also a new player. I have not had these issues with the Susato, Clarke , and SYN whistles I own. If I only had the Generation to use while learning I may have given up in frustration. An easy to play whistle can be a real advantage to a beginner.

-Max
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

Well, hoopy... I got most of them on ebay at a really decent price. I put in a lot of low bids before I picked any up. I don't know of any whistle players around here to try different brands, so when I could get a different one on a low bid, I took it. I like to analyze different brands and see how they play and stuff like that. One of the things that intrigues me about whistles is the little differences and nuances they have between makers. I have like 4 or 5 different harmonicas in the key of C. I'm like that if I can afford it.
Oh yeah... I'm an electronics bench repair tech, if that helps shed any light.
Quests of the mind.
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

hoopy mike wrote:Just curious, but why are you buying so many different brands of whistle?
Plowboy wrote:Well, hoopy... I got most of them on ebay at a really decent price. I put in a lot of low bids before I picked any up. I don't know of any whistle players around here to try different brands, so when I could get a different one on a low bid, I took it.
Strange question from a long time member :boggle: The reason (I) and I'm sure most other folk buy lots of whistles in various brands is 'cause they're relatively cheap as chips (depends on where you buy your chips) great for keeping learning to whistle interesting and the added benefits of familiarizing your ears with different keys and built in finger conditioning on larger whistles and finally great way to calm/contain W.H.O.A.D :D

Mr.Gumby wrote:Ease off, breathe into it.
Such a simple statement but so relevant to us beginners... I recently discovered this very technique and I must say it works so well and should be applied by everyone in the beginning stages. So much effort goes into learning/playing a tune it's easy to forget you don't have to deafen yourself to make music :D
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Plowboy wrote:Well, hoopy... I got most of them on ebay at a really decent price....
Do you think many people would sell a good whistle at a low price? Buyer beware...