Keyless Rod Cameron flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Viritrilbia
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Viritrilbia »

Hi all,

A friend of mine is selling a keyless blackwood flute by Rod Cameron. It has a tuning slide, two-piece body, and a long D foot. I've been trying it out for the past week or so, and I really like it and am thinking of buying it. I just have a couple reservations that I'd like some advice with.

The price is a bit high: about (if not above) the upper limit of what I am willing to spend on a (keyless) flute, and I am wondering whether I could find a flute that is just as good or better for less money. Most of the good makers seem to charge about the same, in addition to having infinitely long waiting lists, but part of me is still hoping....

Dave Copley has been recommended to me, and his prices are attractive. Does anyone here know if he has a waiting list and how long it is? Also I am attracted to Desi Seery's polymer flutes. But never having had a chance to play either model, I am unsure whether to take the plunge.

In addition, I would prefer to have a keyed flute. I would be willing to spend more to get a quality keyed flute, but (the eternal dilemma) waiting lists are eternal. I don't really expect a magic solution to this one--maybe I should go ahead and get a keyless one to tide me through the wait and hope to sell it later to cover the cost of the keyed one?

On a related note, I've seen some people on this board talking about Terry McGee's Roving Ambassador flute, but I can't find any mention of it on his web site or anywhere else. Is it too late to get on this list?

Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Viritrilbia on 2001-11-14 19:16 ]</font>
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'd suggest going with the Copley, it'd be your best bang for the buck IMO. Last I heard, Dave's waiting list was only about 6 months.

In the mean time, get on someone's waiting list for a keyed flute.
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Rod Cameron flute? Now that's a nice one, I am told...and somewhat rare from what I hear (the elusive Cameron, I am told, doesn't make all that many flutes, but his flutes are said to be top notch). My friend, the Cameron is not expensive. You can sell it for more. Buy it, play it, enjoy it, then when you're ready to sell it to buy a keyed flute, you can make some money on it.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

A Cameron flute is a good investment. Rod does terrific work, both on period and alternative-pitch flutes.
Prices of second-hand flutes vary with the maker and, as you're seeing, the waiting list for a new one. Some makers are seeing their flutes selling for more on the used market than the new ones, mostly because it beats the wait and the flutes are indisputably great.
If you can acquire a Cameron flute for about what he's charging, and the flute is in like-new condition, I'd say that's a very good buy.
If you prefer less expensive (I refuse to use the word "cheaper" when correlating to flutes....except Pakistani flutes, which not only are cheaper, but crappy, too), then there are some good alternatives. I can't speak to the Copley flutes as I've not played one yet (Dave? What's up with that?). So, without dissing David or excluding him from the top of the list, I can only say the best Polymer flute (actually it's Delrin) that I've come across is the Seery. And at only $300 new, it's an incredible bargain for such a great sounding flute (see my review elsewhere on the board).
Funny thing is, as others have pointed out on list, once you get one flute, you're always trying the others, in search of flute Nirvana (which actually DOES exist! I've seen it!).
Of course, once there, then you start the equally-fun-but-silly process of mixing and matching parts among the makers to see who does what to which flute and how it sounds together (an ailment that currently has me playing my Rudall with an Olwell head).
Anyway, hope this helps.
jason

Post by jason »

Im selling a desi seery flute on ebay with a fairly low reserve compared to brand new.Item # 1485746733