starting with a 6 key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
memling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

starting with a 6 key flute

Post by memling »

Can i start to play the wooden flute with a 6-key flute?
Do i have to start with a keyless one?
I want to buy a 6-key flute because, near I live, i haven't people who play irish or renaissance music, but some people who play baroque and XIX cent. music (so i need a keyed flute to play with them)... i've read a lot of good things about the M&E's ebonite instruments

P.s. i have played the bohem flute for 5 years. I have a tipple E flute too, but i don't like pvc
kmag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Re: starting with a 6 key flute

Post by kmag »

A keyless flute is a fairly modern invention and I can not imagine in any way how it could be a detriment to start on a keyed flute. At one time everyone started on a keyed flute. I believe that most people playing Irish music start with a keyless flute because it is what they need for most tunes and it is cheaper.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Why don't you try to come to a session in Rome?
I have quite a lot of flutes and I can bring few along with me..
I also know that there is a Watson 6 keys for sale in Rome (mopane wood) for cheap.
I'll send you my info in PM
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

kmag wrote:A keyless flute is a fairly modern invention
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I guess I should have said a keyless simple system flute as usually seen in Irish traditional music is a fairly recent invention but I was assuming people knew what I meant.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Yes, I knew what you meant. Sorry, it just struck as funny at the moment. I am sure we all know that keys are a fairly modern invention.

Your advice was on the mark.

Memling, there's no detriment in starting on a 6 key flute (other than maintaining the keys). Play what ya got. A lot of players find they don't need the keys. I own one keyed flute (lots of keyless ones though) and find I rarely need the keys for traditional Irish dance music. The Christmas season repertoire brings out the need for the keys and it is the only time of the year that I fall back on the keyed flute. It all depends on what you want/need to play.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

memling wrote:Can i start to play the wooden flute with a 6-key flute?
Do i have to start with a keyless one?
I want to buy a 6-key flute because, near I live, i haven't people who play irish or renaissance music, but some people who play baroque and XIX cent. music (so i need a keyed flute to play with them)... i've read a lot of good things about the M&E's ebonite instruments

P.s. i have played the bohem flute for 5 years. I have a tipple E flute too, but i don't like pvc

Oh no....you've given up with the baroque traverso?!

Understandably, it isn't ideal for music beyond baroque and XIXth century music :)

Yes, a keyless Irish flute (diatonic) is a safe starter for transition from the Boehm. Sounds like you have a kind gentleman making you an offer you can't refuse in Italy.

Don't know ...I found the hardest shift from Boehm to wooden flute was embouchure related, not keys. I tried a few simple system nameless flutes and remember the experience of not being able to get a sound except for wheeze. The blowing resistance was so great that I had to use the Force.

Weird fingerings, like open Gs to closed G's, inverted B and Bb keys; alternate C and C sharps across the octaves, baroque traverso fingerings and simple system fingerings take time, and probably take away from developing greater fluency with the same flute. I prefer simple system 6 keys over Boehm's too many - and 6 keys is better than 8 keys, otherwise might as well go back to Boehm with a wooden headjoint :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

How about starting with a proper flute ( :wink: ) - you know, an 8-key one? That's what I started with, not so long ago. Great for trad and for anything classical too.
Denny

Post by Denny »

sure, yer a fiddle player...you already knew those note were there. :P
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Yeah. Lots of notes between the keys, too. :wink:
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

I highly suggest people to start playing using keyed instruments if possible. It can help you in holding the flute properly and not taking bad habits in order to reach the keys properly. It can ber very unconfortable when moving to keyed flutes if you start in keyless ones.
Regards,
S.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Recent beginner comment: As it is the season of tunes with something other than one or two sharps (carols etc) I have been working on using my keys for things other than the occasional accidental. Practicing things like an Fmajor scale without dropping the flute has been a good exercise.

I have not had to make too many changes. That was mainly luck but also because I had already taken a few things into account. For example the position for my right hand that came most easily would have put the C and C# keys out of reach, so I changed it earlier on. That required reviewing how I access, and kept clear of, the Eb key with my right 4th finger.

I think it was worth finding out what finger movements the keys would require before getting too stuck in my ways. However, six holes were quite enough to worry about to start with.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

If your end goal will involve using keys, then it seems like it would be a waste to purchase a keyless flute if you can afford a fully keyed one. Getting into the habit of using the keys properly will make it so you don't have to re-learn some fingerings or hand position and can help with third register notes.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."