PM stuck in the outbox and won't send

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Geoffrey Ellis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

PM stuck in the outbox and won't send

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I'm a bit new to this forum, but I've had a fair bit of experience with managing another forum over the last six years (www.fluteportal.com). Sadly, my experience as the administrator there has not helped me troubleshoot this latest problem...

I've been exchanging some PMs with a few members of this site, and so far without any trouble. However, a couple of days ago I tried to send a PM and instead of actually going out to the member and appearing in my "sent" folder, it just parked itself in the "outbox" and is still sitting there. I made a few attempts to send it again (all of which involved deleting it from the outbox and then recreating the message since there is not a "send" function within the outbox itself, strangely enough).
Despite a few attempts, the message remains in the outbox.

Anyone had this happen before? I assume it is not because the recipients PM folders are full, otherwise I'd expect some sort of message to that effect.

I can't seem to figure out a cause for the problem so I thought I might troll for some assistance.

Thanks!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: PM stuck in the outbox and won't send

Post by Nanohedron »

That's an odd one, and I don't think I've ever heard of a case before where it wasn't ultimately a matter of the PM simply not having been opened by the recipient yet.

If the recipient's inbox is full, this shouldn't prevent your message from being sent. Normally the PM setup here shoulders the housecleaning for the owner, and just deletes the oldest PM in the full inbox to make room for the new arrival.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

A PM will stay in your Outbox until the recipient opens it, or until you delete it. I have one in my outbox which is several months old. It's only because the recipient couldn't be bothered to read what I wrote to them. That happens sometimes. But it's not stuck.

It is, I think, just possible that it hasn't been opened because you haven't got the name of the recipient exactly correct. But I think the first scenario is more likely.

[Cross-post]
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:I assume it is not because the recipients PM folders are full, otherwise I'd expect some sort of message to that effect.
Just adding ... No, no message. But when the Inbox is full, the oldest message is automatically pushed out in FIFO fashion. So new incoming PMs are always accepted.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

If it's not already been made clear - correct operation is that the message stays in your OUTBOX until the recipient reads it. It will stay there for years if not picked up. Once it is read, it will go to your SENT folder. I still have one from 2007, as the recipient has not returned to the board.