French Reeds

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

French Reeds

Post by anima »

the reeds in my Cornemuse du Centre are composite (reed and drone). Looking around online it looks like most chanter reeds for french pipes are composite. Anyone using cane?
MichaelLoos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: French Reeds

Post by MichaelLoos »

Matthias Branschke (www.dudelsackmanufaktur.de/) makes excellent cane reeds for cornemuse.
Guy Cesbron (www.anchecesbron.fr/) also offers cane reeds besides composite, I haven't tried them yet.
anima

Post by anima »

how does the sound compare?
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Cane reeds do sound "better", but that's probably not what you wanted to know...
I find it hard to describe a sound, best would be to try and compare for yourself.
I guess the cane reeds have stronger lower harmonics, and less of the higher ones.
I am very sure most of the French makers offer cane reeds, too, I can't imagine Bernard Blanc supplying plastic reeds exclusively, but for a student model cornemuse (intended for beginners in the first place) I see much benefit in using plastic reeds.
I would be very much surprised if Sean "le cornemuseur" Folsom would not know a source for Cornemuse reeds in the US.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I think that most of the bechonnet models have cane reeds ;-)

About the differences between cane & plastic, here's a true story: Bernard Blanc invite some pipers (some of them well known like Jean Blanchard) and make them pass a blind test. Same chanter, cane VS. plastic. Well, everyone has strayed, what they think was cane was plastic and the inverse is also true. My point here is to say that yes, there is of course differences, but a well made plastic reed can be more powerful and have great harmonics than a cane reed, and the inverse could also be true...depending who and how is made the reed !
anima

Post by anima »

I find it interesting that that french have managed to make composite chanter reeds that work, but we still can't do it for the uilleann Pipes or Gaita.
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

For the uilleann pipes it just doesn't seem to be possible, if they work at all, they don't sound right, although people have been trying for at least 25 years.
For gaita it does work, although these are not commercially available. However, for a "female-type" gaita, Cesbron's reeds for 11-pouce cornemuse might work okay (untried because I make my own).
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

MichaelLoos wrote:For the uilleann pipes it just doesn't seem to be possible, if they work at all, they don't sound right, although people have been trying for at least 25 years.
agree that this is an exercise in futility! The closest aproximantion ive had was a reed with a curved tip & shrink wrap tyeing, over a rolled aluminum staple..go one somewhere still I think...picture one day :)
anima

Post by anima »

who has done gaita reeds?
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

anima wrote:who has done gaita reeds?
I have.
anima

Post by anima »

And? sound? pix? You can't just leave us hanging like that
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

Sorry, I have no recording equipment, so I can't do sound samples. I myself don't hear much of a difference in sound compared to a cane reed, but then, I'm not a gaitero - I have a gaita and I can play a couple of tunes on it, that's all.
I can try to make a pic the next time I make a gaita reed, but don't expect anything spectacular - I make them from yoghurt containers, bound with polymide thread, very much the same as my cornemuse reeds, only that the staple has to be shortened to 23 - 18 mm, depending on the particular chanter, and the lips have to be opened a little bit more.
anima wrote:You can't just leave us hanging like that
Well, I don't offer them commercially, so I guess I can... :D
I've only ever made a handful of them, for people in the area who have gaitas, but in all cases I had the chanter at hand. As these can differ from each other quite a lot I'm not at all confident I could make a reed that fits all.
anima

Post by anima »

cool, thanks.