Vibrato/ Trill Chanter Fingerings

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Vibrato/ Trill Chanter Fingerings

Post by pancelticpiper »

As far as vibrato fingerings go, there are so many possibilities (sometimes a half-dozen different ways to do it on one particular note) that you would end up with a very large catalogue rather than a "fingering chart" per se.

So much of it is what works or doesn't work with a particular chanter, and what your personal tastes are.

Learn the basic approaches and then try all the various possibilities on each note on your particular chanter, to come up with your personal "chart".

The approaches break down into two basic ways 1) completely opening and closing one or more holes further down the chanter 2) "shading" or partially closing one or more holes further down the chanter. Try both, using every different fingering you can think of, both on the leg and off the leg, for each note in each octave.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
john

Post by john »

i've seen keenan shake the hell out of the chanter on second octave 'e' - i don't know what it's called, i wonder if it counts as vibrato
Farrier
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started the journey to learn how to play the Uilleann Pipes. Ive been playing for just under two years. I have come here to ask questions and find some tips and to meet other Uilleann pipers

Post by Farrier »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
rorybbellows wrote:Image

RORY
Do you still have this diagram rorybbellows? Please and thank you!