Bagpipes: No Sound

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
keman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Bagpipes: No Sound

Post by keman »

Hey there! :)

I found some old bagpipes in my girlfriend's attic, but they won't make any sounds. However, when I play the drones (plastic reeds) or the chanter (cane reed) separately, they play fine. I can't find any air leaks on the bag either. It just seems that there isn't enough air pressure to make the reeds vibrate.
The instrument is made of rosewood and the associated practice chanter is a bit out of tune (or maybe I'm doing something wrong?), so I assume it's a cheap model.

Any suggestions? :)
Nic

Re: Bagpipes: No Sound

Post by Nic »

About the practice chanter, it is normal, I think they are all out of tune for the good reason that i forces the apprentice to learn the technique before the tunes themselves, but for the bagpipes, I suspect they are pakistany bagpipes, and if it is the case, you have the choice to hang them on a wall or use them to start you fire... :D BUT !....If the drones are stable and rightly pitched (you can reach Bb), you can buy separatly a good chanter with a good reed, or simply try to buy a softer chanter reed from a good maker !
keman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by keman »

Nic wrote:If the drones are stable and rightly pitched (you can reach Bb), you can buy separatly a good chanter with a good reed, or simply try to buy a softer chanter reed from a good maker !
The drones are fine, but only if I play them without the bag (if I blow directly into the drone). There's still no sound at all if I blow into the bag. o.o
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

Have you tested the bag on it's own? Try removing the chanter and drones and plugging the stocks with corks or blue tack , it should be possible to get the bag drum tight.
They are probably Pakistani pipes but the fact that they have plastic drone reeds is encouraging, they usually come with unusable cane reeds.
I did get a Pakistani set to work after I changed the bag , drone reeds and chanter.
I my experience the Scottish GHB even when fitted with an "easy" reed still requires a super human pressure compared to just about any other bagpipe.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

keman wrote:Hey there! :)

I found some old bagpipes in my girlfriend's attic, but they won't make any sounds.
perhaps...perhaps maybe this is a blessing in disguise? :wink: