You know you've been playing wire harp too long...

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

You know you've been playing wire harp too long...

Post by Redwolf »

...when you start thinking about running to the hardware store rather than the music store when you want to change a string.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: You know you've been playing wire harp too long...

Post by robert schuler »

Or the tackle shop for nylon fishing line... Bob
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

robert schuler wrote:Or the tackle shop for nylon fishing line... Bob
OK, I'll bite: What do you use nylon fishing line for?

So far my forays to the hardware store have included buying dowels (for toggles), a vice grip, needle-nose pliers/wire cutters, and a foldable stool for resting the harp on when I'm traveling and don't want to drag along my padded one.

Redwolf
Tor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tor »

Well, fluorocarbon fishing line is kind of popular for ukulele.. I haven't tried but it's supposed to be good (there may even be a preferable fishing line vendor). Not sure if that applies to harp strings too, but who knows ;)

-Tor
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Tor wrote:Well, fluorocarbon fishing line is kind of popular for ukulele.. I haven't tried but it's supposed to be good (there may even be a preferable fishing line vendor). Not sure if that applies to harp strings too, but who knows ;)

-Tor
Wire harps are strung with brass or bronze (or occasionally silver or gold) instrument wire. That's the reason for the trips to the hardware store:

Dowels, nails or washers for toggles (because you can't tie a knot in wire)
Vise grip to hold the coiled wire straight while tying the toggle
Nice folding stool to set the harp on while playing (wire harps are typically small)

Even with a nylon-strung harp, though, I'd be hesitant to use fishing line, unless I were certain I could get the same gauge recommended by the harpmaker. The wrong strings on a harp can wreak havoc.

Redwolf
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

You use fishing line for the melody strings on an Afghan rubab (and probably a sarod, which is almost the same thing).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

JackCampin wrote:You use fishing line for the melody strings on an Afghan rubab (and probably a sarod, which is almost the same thing).
You need steel or phosphor bronze for sarod strings.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Redwolf wrote:OK, I'll bite: What do you use nylon fishing line for?
Guessing it was a joke... been playing wire harp too long (= 'ouch', that sort of thing!)?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Redwolf wrote:OK, I'll bite: What do you use nylon fishing line for?
Guessing it was a joke... been playing wire harp too long ('ouch', that sort of thing!)?
The tangling our various national and individual sensibilities for subtlety makes for a challenging unravelment. I'm not sure, Peter, what you meant by "it" without more clarifying attribution. Were you referring to the comment Red was addressing, or to the quote of her above? As for the second half of your post, I get the intent of ribbing, but the "'ouch', that sort of thing!" part confuses me, unless you're trying to help things along. If that's the case, it was unnecessary; we're Yanks, not blockheads. :wink:

If it's that you're trying to get a handle on Redwolf's post, I'll dare to put my foot in and presume to translate for Redwolf as she is a fellow American, if I know my own: Red-as-harper posits a committed exponent's opinion in the form of a riddle in the guise of an honest question. The whole delivery from punning start to the answers-itself finish says "Fishing line is for fishing. Period." Anyway, that's what I would have meant by it.

So tell me, Red - was I reading between lines that aren't there? :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm not sure, Peter, what you meant by "it" without more clarifying attribution. Were you referring to the comment Red was addressing, or to the quote of her above?
Yes, Bob's response!
As for the second half of your post, I get the intent of ribbing, but the "'ouch', that sort of thing!" part confuses me, unless you're trying to help things along. If that's the case, it was unnecessary; we're Yanks, not blockheads. :wink:
Playing wire harp too long -> knowledge that you can string said harp from hardware store (which it now turns out is not what Redwolf meant) -> jokey response (assumed 'wire hurts your fingers especially if played too long') about changing to nylon... so 'ouch' refers to assumed sore fingers and not my assumptions (which don't exist) of your perception of humo(u)r!

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:Playing wire harp too long -> knowledge that you can string said harp from hardware store (which it now turns out is not what Redwolf meant) -> jokey response (assumed 'wire hurts your fingers especially if played too long') about changing to nylon... so 'ouch' refers to assumed sore fingers and not my assumptions (which don't exist) of your perception of humo(u)r!
Aha.

Well, at least I can put to rest your sympathies for Red's physical discomforts: IIRC, she plays wire harp with her nails, as is the more common practice. We've another member here, ceadach, a friend of mine who also plays wire harp and in the same way. Speaking of physical discomforts, I used to give him no end of grief for the dangers his considerable nails must present him when attempting personal hygiene. :boggle:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:assumed 'wire hurts your fingers especially if played too long'
so 'ouch' refers to assumed sore fingers
'Assumed' as in I was assuming Bob was assuming that and not actually assuming myself that Redwolf had sore fingers when I know nothing about playing wire-strung harps! :)

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh dear. I'm so lost. Maybe I'm a blockhead after all. I'll just stick my fingers in my ears and wait for Red to tell me I'm off my rocker too. :wink:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

I'massumingBob'sassumingyou'reassumingI'massuming...

Och, never mind (maybe we're all blockheads)! :)

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:I'massumingBob'sassumingyou'reassumingI'massuming...

Och, never mind (maybe we're all blockheads)! :)
"Separated by a common language", I think is how the saying goes. :)