Overtone Question

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Overtone Question

Post by Innocent Bystander »

A few people have created a walking-stick that includes a low whistle. It's easy enough - I've done it myself - anyone who has studied a Chinese flute can see that it's half as long again as it needs to be.

Has anyone done this with an overtone flute?

It's a different problem. Certainly you can place two or three holes where you would normally want the bell-end to go. But that means if you cover those holes you are simply extending the length of the flute. You could place a bung on the end of the flute/stick, but that changes the whole character of the instrument, and again, you lose the opportunity of getting those extra notes by stopping the end (or unstopping it, if it is always stopped).

It might be possible to use a dowel to block the tube for part of its length. That would have a different effect from simply adding extra holes.

Has anyone managed such a thing - to make a walking-stick length of overtone flute? Is it even possible? By which I mean, is it possible to create such a thing AND still stop and half-hole the end in some way?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Overtone Question

Post by hans »

I have not tried this, but would it not work to have a bottom (end) hole somewhere, and a stopper just below, so when you have the hole open it acts like the bottom open end of the tube, and when you have it closed you have a tube with just the mouth end open. You would need the bottom hole big enough I guess.

Or, alternatively, have the bottom end of the walking stick screwed on to the overtone tube, remove it and you got an normal overtone flute. Use a female thread in the bottom of the overtone tube, and the walking stick tip with a male thread.
Innocent Bystander

hans wrote: Or, alternatively, have the bottom end of the walking stick screwed on to the overtone tube, remove it and you got an normal overtone flute. Use a female thread in the bottom of the overtone tube, and the walking stick tip with a male thread.
No doubt that would work, but it is more high-tech than I care to approach.
hans wrote: ...would it not work to have a bottom (end) hole somewhere, and a stopper just below, so when you have the hole open it acts like the bottom open end of the tube, and when you have it closed you have a tube with just the mouth end open(?) You would need the bottom hole big enough I guess.
Well, no, unless your "mouth" tube was exactly halfway down the flute, and even then, it changes the entire character of the flute... The thing is, when you stop the end of an overtone flute you make it so the the harmonic must be a "closed" harmonic - with an even number of nodes (go easy on me, I know what I mean, but can't express it), but you can't do this if you are stopping finger holes, which simply extend the pipe-length. When you stop the the holes halfway/partway, instead of getting the note a semitone down, you would get the full length of the flute as its lowest note!
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
hans wrote: ...would it not work to have a bottom (end) hole somewhere, and a stopper just below, so when you have the hole open it acts like the bottom open end of the tube, and when you have it closed you have a tube with just the mouth end open(?) You would need the bottom hole big enough I guess.
Well, no, unless your "mouth" tube was exactly halfway down the flute, and even then, it changes the entire character of the flute... The thing is, when you stop the end of an overtone flute you make it so the the harmonic must be a "closed" harmonic - with an even number of nodes (go easy on me, I know what I mean, but can't express it), but you can't do this if you are stopping finger holes, which simply extend the pipe-length. When you stop the the holes halfway/partway, instead of getting the note a semitone down, you would get the full length of the flute as its lowest note!
I wonder if you misunderstood me. I propose an overtone flute, which has instead of the open bottom end a plugged end with a sideways hole just above it (like a flute embouchure hole if you will, but being at the bottom end and for closing the hole instead of closing the open end. The physics should be similar.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Having the open end on the handle end would seem to be one way to take care of it too. I must admit that the idea of having a side hole with the change of pitch seems to be an open up some other options. the hole would be smaller than the bore but also moved up the pipe, one would cause the pitch to raise, while the other would lower the pitch. It might balance out, though the open note might be shaded.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Yes, sorry, Hans, I did misunderstand you.