Noreen O'Sullivan - new whistle CD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Noreen O'Sullivan - new whistle CD

Post by kenny »

Purchased at the Willie Clancy week CD launch, and highly recommended.
I've posted it in the "Recordings" section at "thesession.org" - see comments there :

http://www.thesession.org/recordings/display/4198
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Noreen O'Sullivan - new whistle CD

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hm, you were at the launches. Our paths did cross.
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

It was a bit busy by the time I got there, Mr.G. Didn't see you, I'm afraid.
Just thought I'd add that the back of the CD has contact details :

" All enquiries to www.noreenosullivan.com "

There's also an email address and phone number which I won't post here, but if anyone should have difficulty getting a copy, or would like to get a copy of the CD direct from the artiste, then send me a pm, and I'll pass these details on to you.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I know. I was late myself and only did a quick round before going home again. I tried to avoid being tempted to have a go at the traditional soggy creamcracker and cheddar.

Noreen O Sullivan posted a lot about the CD release about a month/five weeks ago over on Tradconnect, some more info there maybe.
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

It seems the CD came out in late February - there is a "Youtube" clip of Noreen playing a couple of tracks in Custy's recorded at that time.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're right, my sense of time is a bit off, things seem to fly by. The Tradconnect posts were around mid March, I just checked. There's a video there too.

" All enquiries to www.noreenosullivan.com "

seems to go to an 'unable to load page' dead site
My brain hurts

LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I was at the cd launch at the Crane in Galway some time ago, nice traditional way of playing and a good feel to it.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Added this to the Whistle Recordings sticky.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

As a newbie, I just wanted to thank kenny for posting Noreen O'Sullivan CD release. :thumbsup:
I purchased & downloaded CD and gave a good close listen. And a second close listen. I love this stuff!

and here is the YT clip mentioned, thank you for that as well! :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3z0Q6pngY

keep'em coming

:) :) :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hadn't watched the video. The tune says to have from Tom Busby struck me as an odd way to approach it, not at all as Tom had it or anyone after him. Then it struck me it's actually a Willie Clancy tune that he played in low and high versions on the whistle. She plays the high one (I have always had the low one on the pipes, probably the reason it took a few minutes to sink in and make the connection). They're very similar tunes though, they're easily confused.

Here's how Willie had it

Which has the unusual feature of him playing a sort of roll on the A instead of plainly playing eAA. In the low version he plays a short cran on the E. As far as I am aware this is the only tune where he does this.
My brain hurts

Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Just registered with C&F. Back from Éigse and Fleadh Ceoil na hÉireann.
Also, my website if no active www.noreenosullivan.com
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Noreen wrote:Just registered with C&F. Back from Éigse and Fleadh Ceoil na hÉireann.
Also, my website if no active http://www.noreenosullivan.com
Noreen, welcome to C&F! :) I'm just the newbie chasing your music around. Your website is up and a complete breeze through was wonderful. You have a big fan here. I hope you post here often. There will be others coming along to greet you soon, as there are many good resourceful and pleasant people around here (I just jumped in with my excitement). Again, welcome! :)
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Noreen wrote:Just registered with C&F. Back from Éigse and Fleadh Ceoil na hÉireann.
Also, my website is now active http://www.noreenosullivan.com
I just noticed on Noreen's website in the "contact" section that there are multiple choices of topics to contact her about. Noreen is offering Music classes, Master classes, Skype classes, Music festival requests, Recital requests, CD sales, Other matters.

That about covers it...
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Othannen wrote:nice traditional way of playing and a good feel to it.
Agreed! Got mine last week (apparently Noreen's first PayPal customer!) and have just been enjoying my second listening. Think everything's got a lovely sense of pace (tunes given both room to breathe and forward impulse, with a consistently attractive 'lilt' even in the reels) and it was a nice surprise to discover that the sample track (a lovely, bouncy reel with almost 'hornpipe' feel) I'd found captivating enough on Noreen's site to be placing my order is not only the title track but a composition of her own that's clearly special to her. Have to say the recording's close-sounding (no disguising the articulation and breath noises!) but (from a player's perspective) I don't mind that, and I found the double-tracked (?) whistles in the unaccompanied Tom Busby's/Rambling Pitchfork jig set almost dizzying in a kind of 'out of phase' way despite the timing being pretty good. Accompaniments are nicely done (never dominating or fighting the whistle) throughout, with a fair proportion of unaccompanied whistle to delight those who like their whistles 'neat'. It's quite a short album time-wise (though never short on quality!) and perhaps the interesting sleeve notes could have been made more readable with a more contrasting choice of text colour, but I'd still thoroughly recommend it for the lovely playing. And Noreen's also a lovely person to deal with when you order yours! :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Having now viewed the Custy's vid, and heard a couple of tracks from the CD thanks to a kind friend ... I have to agree with the commenters that it's lovely playing. Light and flowing, with just the right bounce.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.