Cornemuse du Centre

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cornemuse du Centre

Post by anima »

Can anyone recommend a maker of Cornemuse du Centre'. I have found several on the net but am unsure of quality and reputations of the makers. Same question for Cabrettes.

Jeff
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Cornemuse du Centre

Post by CHasR »

as far as I see it, the best CdC come from either Bernard Blanc or Remy Dubois.

Period.

Arnaud Guenzi, Serge Durin, JS Mairte, Bernard Jacquemin,very very very good pipes also.
all of whom can be found here:

http://www.pipeshow.net/facteurs.htm#cornemuseux

Sure, there are other CdC makers in other countries,
but I personally feel, in my experience & opinion,
(aside from the fact that DuBois/Geris is in Belgium)

...only the French make worthwhile CdC's.

No offense intended to anyone else. sorry if you;s take it that way.

Cabrettes I dont know about.
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

I don't! (take offense that is) I'm just starting to make them, I'm playing my first prototype at the moment.
I'm a huge fan of this guy's work http://cornemuses.foucheres.free.fr/
I haven't tried them myself but friends who have tell me they're great,
Nic

Post by Nic »

Hi,

I agree about all the makers named here. I have a Bernard Blanc in G, perfect instrument (student model, low price (1000 Euros), fast delivery (3 months)). I also have a Didier fouchères in Low C, great instrument too.

Raphaël Jeannin is one young maker, greatly appreciated by great pipers as Robert Amyot (he has a 16 inch mouthblown bechonnet from Raphaël). Very serious guy, makes lot of research on early musettes du centre....
http://jeannin-cornemuse.blogspot.ca/

I also had a Serge Durin in low D, great instrument too !

Nic
anima

Post by anima »

Nic, where are you located?
Nic

Post by Nic »

I live in Quebec province (Canada) ;-)
anima

Post by anima »

Darn, that's a little to far ( by about 1000 miles) for me to drive on over to see your pipes. :-)
Nic

Post by Nic »

Well,

Blanc, Dubois, Durin, Jeannin, Fouchères, Guenzi or Jacquemin, they all are great makers, stable, perfectly tuned, steady drones, nicely made bagpipes. Do you have a preference for G-C (16 pouces), D-G (20 pouces) or C-F (23 pouces) (they are the most common, but there is also A-D (14 pouces), F-Bb(18 pouces), LowA-D (26 pouces) and even Low G-C (30 pouces) ?

Nic
anima

Post by anima »

I have contacted Bernard Blanc today about one of his study sets in G/C 16 pouces. :-)

I wish he took Paypal, I hate bank transfers.

Jeff
Nic

Post by Nic »

I think you made a very good choice, good instrument and only 3 months before you receive it !

Is Bernard Blanc still in Italy ?

Nic
anima

Post by anima »

website says he is in Vichy. I hope to do the money transfer this week.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Ok, so he probably had come back in France !
Vanzetti
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Vanzetti »

Does anybody know of guide/tutor to the Cornemuse du Centre in English? Or any recommendations for a guide/tutor in French?

I always get overwhelmed looking at the wide world of French pipes.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

AFAIK, Bernard Blanc still lives in northern Italy. Perhaps only his international transactions are managed in Lyon.

Nic, I'd still really like to meet and pipe with you one day. Philly/Montreal hmmmmm bit of a drive, but still, ....closer than Effiat, eh?!?

Vanzetti (sorry cant help asking where is Sacco? :wink: forgive me) The primary "Anglais" instructional text for central France style piping is Bernard Boulanger's 'Jouer de la Cornemuse'. Comes wiht a CD. the first half is very good informanton about particularly French techniques (rapells, vibrato, etc) but the second half competely devloves into Scottish Highland type ornamentation. Suggest using the first half as foundation and doing critical listening in lieu of the 2nd part. theres plenty of recordings, Eric Montbel, Jean Blanchard, Les Brayauds, very many. Additionally there are in print several collections of music for Cornemuse.

The CdC , all things considered, has a core repertoire that's very well represented in print, as compared to other continental pipes.
Vanzetti
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Vanzetti »

CHasR wrote:AFAIK, Bernard Blanc still lives in northern Italy. Perhaps only his international transactions are managed in Lyon.

Nic, I'd still really like to meet and pipe with you one day. Philly/Montreal hmmmmm bit of a drive, but still, ....closer than Effiat, eh?!?

Vanzetti (sorry cant help asking where is Sacco? :wink: forgive me) The primary "Anglais" instructional text for central France style piping is Bernard Boulanger's 'Jouer de la Cornemuse'. Comes wiht a CD. the first half is very good informanton about particularly French techniques (rapells, vibrato, etc) but the second half competely devloves into Scottish Highland type ornamentation. Suggest using the first half as foundation and doing critical listening in lieu of the 2nd part. theres plenty of recordings, Eric Montbel, Jean Blanchard, Les Brayauds, very many. Additionally there are in print several collections of music for Cornemuse.

The CdC , all things considered, has a core repertoire that's very well represented in print, as compared to other continental pipes.
Sacco is home with his family or off making shoes. Though I am not 100% certain, we haven't been in touch in a while. Thanks for the book recommendation. One more question-does the Cornemuse du Centre have a second octave or overblown notes?