Bamboo Flute?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
MKuhl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Bamboo Flute?

Post by MKuhl »

Hello all.

I recently ordered a Bamboo Flute on amazon and am currently waiting it's arrival.

http://www.amazon.com/8937-Beginner-Chi ... cr_pr_pb_t

My question is, Do I need to purchase anything else for it? As far as I've gathered, the Dizi is played horizontally like a western flute. However it doesn't seem like that from the picture.

Also, should I purchase membranes for it? Or do they normally come with one in it already?

Sorry for so many stupid questions lol. I just wanted to try a flute out. So I don't know that much about it.

Thanks in advance.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Bamboo Flute?

Post by MTGuru »

I have what looks like almost the exact same design of dizi, with the red bands and ivoroid ends, but no brass joint. Mine is smaller, pitched in G (Western D). A friend picked it up in China.

Yes, it is played horizontally, as a transverse flute.

The description says it comes with a pack of dimo membranes, so you should be set for a while. The packs contain 5 membranes that you can cut up into right-sized pieces.

You'll need some dizi glue to attach the membrane over the dimo hole. If you don't have mule-glue (!), you can try cutting a clove of garlic in half, and rub on the sticky garlic juice as glue. Getting the membrane wrinkles just right is a fine art, so expect to experiment a bit. Or you can just tape over the dimo hole (like me) and play it as a regular flute, but without the buzzy dizi sound.

Keep in mind that the pitch of Asian flutes like this is designated according to what we consider the G fingering xxxooo, not the D fingering xxxxxx. So this C dizi is pitched like a Western G instrument. That is, the note that sounds when you finger xxxxxx is G, and we would call it a G flute.

As for the actual pitch and size ... I'm guessing this dizi is the equivalent of a low G (alto G) whistle, range G4-G6. Which would make the total length around 28 inches, sounding length around 15 inches. Dizi hole spacing is fairly tight, so that stretch would still be pretty comfortable. The Amazon customer comments suggest that the stretch is not a problem, by the absence of complaints.

The description actually gives the range as G3-A5, but I'm guessing that's a mistake. G3 is an octave below a low G whistle. Which would make the sounding length around 30 inches and the total length around 48 inches! :o I guess that's possible, but I doubt it. You'd need monster-sized hands to play it, and the flute could double as a nice broomstick. Maybe you can let us know when it finally arrives. :-)

Good luck, and enjoy.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:Yes, it is played horizontally, as a transverse flute.
Here's a picture of a dizi player, with very much the same style of dizi.

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I have the same flute from carrot music, but the one a step up the intermediate dizi in the same key. Mine is not pitched in concert g but higher or slightly lower cant remember which now despite being labeled as c ( g in our terms) as MT notes
I found it a bit out of tune with itself for my purposes. I have to work too hard for it to sound good.
That said the dimo when positioned right gives that amazing buzzy tone of the dizi. I find I use the garlic juice and get it rightly positioned but I always end up over messing with it.
It came with dimo but if you ran out I imagine you could use a cigarette paper.

If I have a moment I could record something so you can hear how it sounds.

I wouldnt recommend it to anyone but since youve ordered it you may get a bit of fun out of it.
I wish Id saved the money for a billy miller bamboo flute!
MKuhl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by MKuhl »

Thanks for the feedback! :D

I can't wait for it to get here.

I mean, if it's horrible I won't really mind since I didn't really pay that much for it. I'm just more concerned with messing with it. The membrane and all that. I don't want to mess it up lol.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Just noticed the cork disk was too close to the embouchre moving it back has helped octavesr being in tune!