Flutes made of delrin

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Julie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Flutes made of delrin

Post by Julie »

I'm sort of looking to buy a "camping" flute over the next couple months (camping in a 37' RV with climate control, not in a tent) because my rosewood deKeyser doesn't seem to like going to the sand dunes or lake--even in the RV.

The PVC flutes also seemed like an option, but I don't want to get frustrated if it is difficult to play. I can get lots 'o practice time in while camping--kids and hubby are off doing other things.

Any thoughts or advice? What can I expect to pay for a used delrin flute? I noticed that there weren't any on the board--I'm also wondering if anyone wants to part with one...:D

Julie
cquick

Re: Flutes made of delrin

Post by cquick »

I have Dave Copley's D and C delrin flutes and both are excellent instruments.

Don't think you can do much better!

Chuck
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pmcallis »

Julie,
Another really excellent choice is a delrin flute by Garry Somers available from Doc Jones at the Irish Flute Store:
http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Flutes_c3.htm
I have the 5 pce. pratten model. Great flute!! Great price. :thumbsup: ...and I've played them all.
Paul
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I agree that the Copley is a great flute. In addition to sound and playability, it's the lightest polymer flute (of five) that I've owned. Delrin is about 20% denser than blackwood, and if you're used to a rosewood flute, the weight of a polymer flute might be a consideration.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Julie,

I'd agree with all those who've responded to you so far. I have a Copley keyless in Delrin and most of the folks I know say that it will serve my needs for many years. It sounds better than anything in it's price range. I have not heard Somers flutes but have heard Seery and Forbes. Others may disagree but I think the Copley is at least as good as these, likely better IMHO.

I paid $350 (used) on C&F last spring for mine with silver rings. I've seen them go used on C&F for $325 to $395 depending on whether or not they had rings.

I know Doc will let you try his flutes so it wouldn't be out of line to ask him about the Seery and Somers on his website. He's a great guy to deal with.

good luck,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

I'll second (errr... actually fourth, I guess) the vote for Dave Copley's delrin flutes. I use one of his for the exact purpose you are talking about and as a spare for my John Gallagher flute.

Actually, I hear John Gallagher is doing some work in delrin now, but the Copley is cheaper.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

I've not played the Copley or Somer flutes but I have Ralph Forbes which is great. Very well in tune with itself. Powerful and can give a good range of voices. BTW my signature tunes were before I had this flute. I think Ralph's website has some clips of Kevin Crawford on one.

While on the subject I would like to know who does keyed Delrin flutes.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

It's Rob Forbes, not to be nitpicky, but for the benefit of people doing a Google search ;)
(Oh, and i have one of his flutes. A gem! Lent it out to Murrough O'Kane who agreed.

http://www.forbesflutes.com

EDIT: Dave Copley does keyed Delrin flutes according to his website: http://www.copleyflutes.com/
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Walt Sweet is making a new flute from acetyl (also called Delrin). There is a topic about them quite recently on this forum. They are priced new at $275, which is a very good price for a conical-bore, acetyl flute.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

The suggestions of the Copley, Somers and Forbes flutes are all good ones. I am partial to the Copley myself. You may not play your DeKeyser much if you get any one of these.
Julie wrote:The PVC flutes also seemed like an option, but I don't want to get frustrated if it is difficult to play.
I also would suggest that you look into the Tipple flute. Nothing difficult about it to my mind. They are good players and reasonably priced. It is a good camping flute, IMO, and tough enough to throw in the backpack and hit the trail with no worries. Just don't use it as a poker for the evening camp fire.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I can also recommend the Copley Delrin flutes. I've had two, both very good indeed. One of the nice things for travel, is that the Delrin Copley is has a shorter length over all than most standard "long footed" flutes, so it's lighter and more compact than most of the other delrin flutes out there. I've played the Seery, the M&E, the Forbes, the one Olwell delrin in existence, and I own a Glenn Watson in Delrin as well. I'd have the Delrin Olwell if I could persuade the owner to sell it (and I have tried), but I'd still keep my Copley as it's a great flute and better for carrying around than anything else I own due to the size and weight. Very easy player too, with excellent tuning and extremely well made - I say this as an experienced woodwind maker myself. Finally, Dave's customer service is as good as it gets.

Loren
Julie

Post by Julie »

Thank you all for your comments! I've been offered a couple of really great deals on really great flutes through pms and will likely have one shortly--just in time for a trip out to the desert in early May! :D
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i've played the Copley, Forbes, Somers, and Seery and of those the Seery is my favorite, but it's big ol' pratten monster and not for the week of heart. ;)

John C. also makes delrin flutes; one of which i owned for awhile and was quite good. :)

Cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Forbes & Copley :thumbsup:

The Forbes is thinner-walled and thus lighter and a little buzzier. The Copley's heft is kind of satisfying, though. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Garry Somers has a delrin/aluminum flute for 125 at the irish flute store.
find this instrument intriguing.

http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Garry-S ... uminum.htm