Wanted: Jessie's old Copeland Nickel C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flexismart
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Wanted: Jessie's old Copeland Nickel C

Post by Flexismart »

I recorded a studio piece in 1997 with a Copeland brass C (pre fipple wall) that I borrowed from a friend. I've owned other Copeland whistles, including a brass C that I didn't like, but this particular whistle was the most amazing one I've played. It was responsive, clean, haunting, on pitch, and I know where it is (the owner won't let it go).

Here's what I recorded:
http://www.box.com/s/9134dc929878639046a5
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nice Jack. It's great hearing about (and in this case hearing) these other really nice older Copeland C's out there. I know they weren't all killer, but it sounds like Michael made more than a few exceptional ones and I'm guessing they just don't change hands much. I only parted with mine under very dire circumstances. In addition to tracking down my old C, I'd love to find Copeland D that plays the way my C did, preferably in Nickel. I've decided to try the one that Cubitt listed in the for sale section earlier today - has the shamrock and Philadelphia Stamps, so I'm guessing it's early to mid 90's? Worth a try I figure.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

2 years of searching and still no luck, perhaps one day it will turn up....

In the mean time, if anyone has a really nice sounding/playing Copeland Nickel C they'd be interested in selling, please contact me. I'm particularly partial to the older ones, bonus points if it says Philadelphia on it, since that's where I'm from. Give me a shout via email if you have one.

Will also consider Nickel Copelands in other keys.

Cheers,

Loren
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.

Post by Flexismart »

Here's one -
A little pricey, but worth a look - in excellent shape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copeland-High-D ... 35c1e1e3d1
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Did see that one. Tempting, and I'm considering bidding...... Would love to find an Eb and C in Nickel though, or an older Nickel D. Never know though, I might get in on the bidding on that ebay D.

I guess you still haven't landed that brass C you recorded with?

Loren
Flexismart

Post by Flexismart »

No, I haven't landed the Copeland Brass C - the deal was that it would (or may) be handed along upon the owners demise, whom I wish good health and a long life. I'm certain that the whistle gets very little use in the meantime.

At this point I've given up on many whistles for various reasons, but mainly because a vast majority of them either don't play in tune or have some other undesirable issue. After years of searching for a whistle that could be played next to an accordion and have a good deal of character of tone I settled on a Chieftain Mezzo C - which is an extraordinary whistle. Rich, complicated, fast, and inspiring. My next whistle purchase will probably be Phil Hardy's High D Hybrid; the demos indicate that it has a very complex tone and natural sound. Here' a vid of his new but not yet released creation: you'll find it under Pro Files - Hybrid 2 http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movie.php?groupID=19
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Loren! I came across this old thread and searched my records. In an old email containing an old spreadsheet of all my PayPal transactions in 2006, I found the buyer. I have a name, an email address and physical address (as it was in 2006). You disappeared from Facebook! I’m glad to see that you’ve posted recently here and are, in fact, still alive! Get in touch with me for contact info of the buyer.
~JessieD
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks Jessie, sent you an email :thumbsup:
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Wow -- that is a gripping tale. Please keep us updated! It reminds me of my days as a watch-collector. I sold the watch I was wearing at my wedding and of course later regretted it. But it was easy to get back. The guy I sold it to, never even wore it and he sold it back to me for the same price. Of course I won't sell it again. So I can understand where you're coming from and I really hope, you get "your" whistle back.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

This really is fascinating. It has twists and turns like a mini-novel.
You have to keep us updated and post pictures and sound clips.