Jig Title

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
an seanduine
antispam: No

Jig Title

Post by an seanduine »

I'm struggling with a translation for a jig title. It is given as Muing Fliuch. I find nothing of value through Google. They suggest the alternative 'Muine Fliuch', which leads me to several possibilities: The Wet Thicket, Moneyflugh, or a Kerry variant: The West Thicket.
Can anyone please give me assistance on this one. . .my Irish is extremely poor.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Jig Title

Post by MTGuru »

an seanduine wrote:my Irish is extremely poor.
So is mine, but I'll take a run at it.

Seems likely that the title refers simply to the town of Moneyflugh, Co. Kerry. So it's another tune named after a place, and that's that. The Irish name Muine Fliuch would mean "Wet Thicket", in parallel with other "Money-" town names: Moneygall, Moneyglass, etc. See this Google Books excerpt for one listing:

http://books.google.com/books?id=w_B0Ou ... ch&f=false

"West Thicket" sounds like an Anglophone misinterpretation, especially if Moneyflugh is to the west of some other well-known local place.

As for Muing vs Muine, don't know. Could be that the "g" is a misreading orthographically influenced by the "y" of Money-. What is the source of the jig title as you have it?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thank you. I picked up the Moneyflugh-West Thicket connection in the Oxford list you cited. I've even picked up a school named 'Muine Fliuch', which I think is in Kerry. I've also been given an alternate in Ulster of translating 'Muine' as a peat-bog, which certainly makes sense with 'fliuch'. So 'Wet Wood' or 'Soggy Bog' would certainly serve as a provisional translation. . .IF my presumption that 'Muing' is an error.
This is the given title, without an English translation, as one of the tunes in Conal O'Grada's book. So-o-o, I reluctant to out and out say it's a mistake: Port Muing Fliuch.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

As a side issue, it occurs to me that there are an awful lot of occasions when the Irish seem to use the word "thicket". In English, I can't remember the last time I used the word "thicket". Apart from that one. And the one before.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Hmmm. Well a search over at The Session reveals this: Muing A TSionnaigh, a Jig, composed by Conal himself and taught at last years Flute Gathering. The Translation is given as the 'Field of the Fox', referring to a field behind his house. I guess this answers my original question. . .and now I can do my Emily Littela impersonation and say "Never mind!". :oops:

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

OK, so The Wet Field, then. A local usage, perhaps? Or even idiosyncratic? Where is Conal from, Ulster? I'd guess "muine" could be "muing", with pronunciation differences. And geographic features like thicket and field can sometimes be fungible.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Fungible! I love "fungible". :love:

[I should be careful here, and not cut too many monkeyshines for fear of inadvertently or inappropriately sequestrating this indubitably goluptious thread.]
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

The obvious parallel is with another jig, "An Phis Fliuch".

"Phis" is apparently a borrowing, from an English word for a small furry animal with sharp claws.

Could "muing" be a loan from (or the original of) "minge"?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Surely you're taking the pis.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Ummm. Jack, I don't have any problem translating 'An Phis Fliuch'. My understanding is that 'phis' would be analogous to the anglo-saxon pisser (O.E. pizzle).
An Phis Fliuch is a Slip Jig.
Port Muing Fliuch is a Double Jig.

My Irish vocabulary is pitiful. I don't know 'Muing', but by context I know Conal is using it to mean a 'field', when he titled another Jig "Muing A TSionnaigh", Field of the Fox. I don't know enough Irish to know how 'muing' might change in another inflection. Right now my provisional translation would be 'The Wet Field Jig' or alternatively 'The Soggy Field Jig.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:My understanding is that 'phis' would be analogous to the anglo-saxon pisser (O.E. pizzle).
Just to interject that the word is actually "pis" (as I punned with, in kind, above). The H, signifying lenition, happens in cases such as this when feminine nouns follow the definite article "an". Typical dictionaries translate "pis" (nf2) as "pea", so the more arch definition seems to be merely a common vulgarity (there is a proper term, after all) that for all we know has only an accidentally superficial resemblance to the word for the legume it otherwise normally represents. Until an expert can tell us, I'm tempted to doubt (no expert, here) whether in the vulgar usage it has any direct connection to English; and after all, one is concave, you could say, and the other, well, convex.

There's a River Muing in Co. Mayo. That would certainly be damp.

After some heavy digging, what I find is that muine means "thicket", and muing means "fen, morass" (not necessarily "bog" which is usually portach). Neither term in English has ever seemed that interchangeable to me, and we know that one letter can make a world of difference. For example, "thicket" and "thicker" are close, but no actual fungibility there, either. There's an even greater distance of meaning between lacha (duck) and lacht (milk). Just tossing the general idea out there.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thanks Nano.
I get the lenition.
As to vulgarity, Honi soit qui mal y pense.
As to concavity and convexity. . . !(the source of all vexation?) I'm not sure how to inflect gender in Old English, let alone Irish. :D
Guess I may have to pester Conal. My understanding is he was reared in and around Cork, so probably speaks a Kerry brand of Gaelic, if not a thoroughly academic form through the schools.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm asking for expert input here:

http://irishlearner.awyr.com/phpBB3/vie ... f=28&t=991

If I recall correctly, "An Phis Fluich" is actually pretty vulgar...

BTW, it's An (or A') tSionnaigh. The "t" would never be uppercase.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thanks Redwolf. I was hoping you'd come by!
I copied the title to the other jig (The field of the fox) straight from The Session.Org, and so am not surprised by it being spelled incorrectly. I'm sure I'd recognize a fox if I saw one, just not necessarily in Irish!

No need for vulgarity where it is unwanted: I've heard the Slip Jig introduced as: O'Farrel's Wlcome to Limerick, and what a Welcome it Was!

Now I am curious to hear what we have with "Port Muing Fliuch".

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

BTW, "pis" is slang for...er...female reproductive apparatus. I believe the Chieftains rendered it as "The Wet Pussy" (and they weren't talking about kitty cats!)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!