Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

Post by Jon C. »

Holmes wrote:The Pink Ivory has a lovely waxy texture, the whistle at the bottom is included to show how the wood darkens but this wood looks promising... can't wait to try it... (Whistle by Ian Corrigan)
H

H
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Holmes Mooney & Wood play; The Laird Of McNabb - http://www.box.net/shared/5tx0jxtd7cbbgjfsjkp0 (Holmes McNaughton D Blackwood eight key).
http://youtu.be/zrNs33H7uxY Cuig Emag reel - How Sweet The Name of Peggy..
Looks great, can't wait to see the finished flute! Is the Pink Ivory stringy at all? It looks like it keeps a nice edge. I wonder how it would look acid stained?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

Hi Jon

Yes I share your curiosity about the P. I. The whistle by Ian Corrigan is my best indicator, it feels lovely to hold, it turns very well and doesn't have that stringy fibrousness that you may expect - it's actually quite waxy. I'm encouraged so far. The flute is still is not complete as we like to leave them in the fully turned state for a little while, especially prior to giving the tenons a final turn. Ian has used PI for a number of whistles. (he's my favourite wooden whistle maker - local, really nice chap - Deerness Pipes is his brand name). The whistles appear stable, have not cracked & sound great. I'll post some clips once we've pulled this flute together.

I have seen Pink Ivory flutes but just keyless versions, maybe someone with PI flute can comment upon how they hold up after years of use?

Kind regards

H
Holmes Mooney & Wood play; The Laird Of McNabb - http://www.box.net/shared/5tx0jxtd7cbbgjfsjkp0 (Holmes McNaughton D Blackwood eight key).
http://youtu.be/zrNs33H7uxY Cuig Emag reel - How Sweet The Name of Peggy..
http://www.box.com/s/fvvfmefsrommgx7084zg B min Jig D 8 Key

Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

I've just finished adding keys to a flute that I made last year:

RE- Pink Ivory wood, I used to work for oboe makers TW Howarth and I have a vague memory of them making an oboe from it.
Ian's work is superb, he's a nice guy too.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Album of pics of fully restored R&R #2130 (10-key with Bb foot, made c1831-3) here on FB - the album blurb contains links to two video demos.

Sorry, I've no time at present to upload them to another host so I can paste them direct here. The FB album should be publicly visible - no need to be an FB member to view.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
piperJules
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by piperJules »

My new flute by Dominic Allan. It is a beautiful instrument though, being used to bellows-blown pipes and whistles, I am finding it a tad difficult to play and breath at the same time!!
:boggle: :boggle: :boggle:

Image[/img]

Jules
Borja Baragaño

Post by Borja Baragaño »

Bb Lehart
D Morvan
Eb Lehart
F Lehart
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

...find the intruder...
Is the Eb just as long as the D or it's just the picture?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Othannen wrote:...find the intruder...
Is the Eb just as long as the D or it's just the picture?
Strewth, Lorenzo! Yes, there is some effect of perspective in the photo making foreground items seem wider in relation to background ones.... but look at the scaling of the two flutes in question, which are close enough together not to have too much of the viewpoint effect, and you can clearly see the (nearer) Eb flute is shorter from embouchure to Eb key than the D flute even with the visual distortion in play....... And of course it is quite possible that flutes only a semitone apart could have near-identical overall lengths (though not scale lengths) depending on non-scale-affecting design parameters (e.g. space up-tube of embouchure, "dummy" long foot, etc.).
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Of course I can see that Jem, but also look at the C#/Eb distance, and the footjoint also. The only thing that looks noticebly shorter is the RH section of the Eb flute, that makes the embouchure hole much closer to the C# hole.
All this doesn't surprise my too much though, as my flute plays well in Eb with the (original) headjoint pushed all the way in, and well in D with the slide opened about 1,6 cm (go figure...)

Borja Baragaño

Post by Borja Baragaño »

This pic is only for Othannen :thumbsup:

LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Lovely, can you make another one with the (high) C# holes in line? :wink:

Edit: actually, I'll do it myself (ignore the white rectangle!) :D

Footjoint of Eb flute is really long...

mkchen

Casey Burns Large Holed Standard

Post by mkchen »

This is the flute I bought from Philip K. in Israel back in December. It has since gone to meet its maker (literally, as Casey's shop in Kingston is just a 10 mile bike ride and a 25 minute ferry ride from where I live in Seattle). Casey gave it his usual tune-up: checked the oil, polished the rings and bore, rewrapped the tenons). And he added an Eb key.

I'm still adjusting to the flute. Hole spacing appears very similar to my M&E R&R model, but of course the holes are bigger. Very pleasant flute to play, anyway.

Ming
mkchen

Re: Casey Burns Large Holed Standard

Post by mkchen »

Sorry, I was trying to post this in the flute pictures thread, but it keeps ending up here.

Ming

[ No problem - Moved! - Moderator ]
wesley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by wesley »

Hi there. Just bought this flute was hoping someone could share a bit of info this type of flute. thanks wes
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi Wesley. Welcome aboard. What you have there is a typical late C19th or early C20th German or Bohemian made 8-key simple system flute in the style known as "nach (after) Meyer". You can find out quite a lot about them from this webpage: http://www.oldflutes.com/articles/meyer.htm. That website is a mine of wonderful information and well worth a general perusal. Yours will be made of either Cocus Wood or (more likely by the look of it, Grenadilla (African Blackwood), and the keys and other metal fittings are of German Silver - a cupro-nickel alloy similar to brass, commonly used for musical instrument parts. Yours looks to be a tidily made and neatly cleaned up example, but I'm afraid that is no indicator of how good a player it will be. Google searching and using the forum search tool here on "nach Meyer flute" will also get you more.......

Firstly, probably the majority of these flutes were built for a slightly lower pitch standard than modern Concert Pitch (A=440Hz) - about A=432-5 - and if so it probably won't play at 440 even with the tuning slide completely closed. However, some are built for/will play just fine at modern pitch. Secondly, whatever pitch it plays at, it may have severe tuning issues, even if you play with all the classically correct fingerings. These flutes were cheaply mass-produced and many have very bad intonation. Again however, some are very good - at least as good as the C19th English flutes (or copies thereof) favoured nowadays for ITM. Lastly, it is unlikely to have a very forceful voice and may be a bit stuffy compared to the desired ITM sound, but these flutes are not necessarily quiet/weedy and can be very sweet. Even the good ones tend to have the L hand notes, especially A and B, a bit sharp in the scale, more-so in the 2nd 8ve, but they can be lipped in or modified with beeswax.

In the end, it is a lottery with them as to whether you get a good playable one or a junker fit only for making a table lamp from, at whichever pitch standard. Of course, a Low Pitch one which plays well in tune with itself won't be much practical use in ensemble contexts..... but may be pleasurable for private, solo use. If you can measure and tell us the Sounding Length (centre of embouchure to very end of foot, tuning slide closed) and the overall length, preferably in mm, I can probably say what pitch it was built for - and of course you can test it against a tuner.

I have done up (and sold) quite few of these and you can see some video clips made using them on my YT channel or in my FB albums - you'll have to read the blurbs to see which clips are on nach Meyers as opposed to other flutes.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it and how much did you pay?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums