Hanafin brothers monument in Milltown !!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Hanafin brothers monument in Milltown !!

Post by rorybbellows »

This is a photo of the hanafin monument in milltown ,which was erected about three years ago.The design was taken straight out of O,Neills .The man playing the bodhran is tom O,Suillivan who is a very fine piper (plays an old tom white set . He was instrumental in organising the erection of the monument and the bringing over of more than forty of William Hanafin,s relitives that still live in Boston for the unveiling ceramony.

ImageImage
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Rory, I found this at the Milltown website. I didn't know who the Hanafin brothers were so maybe some other people don't either. I saw the picture you put up at the website but I didn't know it was a special memorial to someone or who the man was in the foreground. It sure seems sad that William died at such an early age.

"The Hanafin Brothers
No discussion about Milltown and its music would be complete without a mention of two of it’s most talented and famous sons, brothers Michael and William Hanafin who took the tunes, lyrics and steps of their native home with them to America:
Michael (1875-1970) and William or Billy as he was known (1885-1924) were born on a farm in Callinafercy just outside Milltown. Their house was always a great meeting place for travelling pipers, fiddlers and dancing masters, especially some of the best in the county who hailed from the adjoining parish of Keel. From when the boys were young, their barn was used every winter to hold a dancing school. Michael got whistle and dancing lessons from a woman called Florence Hartnett, a flute player and dancing teacher who would visit the family home. He also loved to pay the fiddle. Billy loved to play the uileann pipes.

After emigrating to Boston towards the end of the 19th century, the brothers became firm friends of the famous musician Dan Sullivan. They performed with him and were later joined by flute player Daniel Moroney who also came from Milltown. Billy was taken under the wing of Patsy Touhy the famous piper and had lessons from him. The Hanafins played in countless music halls right across the United States as part of the Shamrock Band and recorded with at least 3 recording companies. They had their own radio show in the 1930s and Michael also won medals for his dancing.

Billy died in 1924 and 46 years later, Michael passed away at the great age of 95. In honour of their invaluable contribution to keeping Irish culture alive, a bronze memorial has been erected in the square of their native Milltown. A contingent of visitors from the Boston Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann came over for the launch and among the group was Michael Hanafin, musician and great grandson of Michael. The memorial also has 32 pieces of artwork around it created by members of the local community, celebrating all aspects of life in Milltown. Funding was obtained from the South Kerry Development Partnership."

Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Re: Hanafin brothers monument in Milltown !!

Post by Mary Hanafin Doonan »

[ Revival - Mod ]

Such a wonderful read posted here of my Great Grand Da! His stories, instruments and music within my heart and hand here but my wonders of the land he and family so loved just a tale I wish to touch too. I had to thank your posts as my(Great) Aunt, William's youngest daughter, Eily, just left us and now the music written and recorded is all I have to here besides personal treasures. It brings memories of hearing his brother play as well my brother, connecting me to a place I should know... if you know what I mean?
THANK YOU,
Mary
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Howdy Mary,

This link should bring up various recordings of both Michael and William: Comhaltas Archive 'Hanafin.' If it doesn't work just search for the family name again. Or perhaps you'll need to register there. Perhaps you have these recordings already, but thought I'd chime in. They were both wonderful musicians. We are blessed to have the cylinder recordings of William to hear, too, those are quite easy to shatter. Even playing the things is bad for them, unless you use a laser instead of the steel needle, that is.

Was it you that passed along William's pipes to Christy O'Leary, the piper in the group the Boys of the Lough? That's a great story. Not unique, either, there are fellows in Ireland who were given sets by Taylor because they were relatives of the original owners.
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Kevin,

Thank you for your reply and link, will go and take a listen! I have William's violin and many hand written music athough recently gave to my brother as it belongs and brother plays so sweetly. I have several wax recordings and other forms that had been made digital. Some wax recordings have he and the guys joking with voice and laughter which is so fine alast sound quality as you wrote, not so with much background noise...

Christy was given the pipes from my Great Aunt Eileen ( William's youngest daughter). She wanted her father's song to live on... rightfull so, music belongs to everyone and should be heard and enjoyed. Unfortunately, I born in 1966 so all I have of William is wonderful stories and my families personal treasure but did hear Mike and was taught a few steps lol... :D.

And William too did well with his step as I have a medal awarded to William dating May 30, 1906 for first prize, Irish Championship Dancing of O'Connell Memorial Church.

I so thank you for this, I wasn't able to travel to see the ceremony but plan to soon see my family's homeland. Your response nice and welcoming.
Hope all finds you well,
Mary
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Christy O'Leary of Edinburgh & Örebro, Sweden?: 1 Taylor set that belonged to Mike Hanafin (probably William F. Hanafin's pipes) who died before 1920 of influenza. The set was passed on to O'Leary by a relative of Hanafin. John Walsh wrote: This set still had the original reeds and the drone reeds were made of elder - Alain Froment commented that the chanter reeds were halfway between the old flat-set reeds and the modern ones, narrower staples like the old ones, blades more like modern ones."

Christy is still here in Sweden. A great piper and singer. He told the story of meeting with William's daughter on a plane if I remember right. They were sitting next to each other and she heard Christy's accent and they started talking and Eileen wanted William's pipes to be played as they were just laying in the box and none of the family played.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

omg...are those palm trees??? :o

Just wishing we could do something similar for the Taylor Bros here... :( ....even a simple marker would suffice.
great pic!
Mary Hanafin Doonan

You are promptly correct. That is the Christy Eily met on the plane along with her youngest brother Gerald. Following the meeting they did met in Massachusetts and I have a few pictures of that day. And we were so glad that William's pipes would travel and be appreciated once again!

Both my brothers and I learned the violin yet my older brother excelled best and younger brother has a set of pipes along with a few other instruments. I more of an explorer as like my godmother/Aunt Eily, learned the love of sailing and my lessons dwindled early to my regret now of course.

Thank you for more color in where the Pipes have traveled! When I hear such music it brings happy tears to my eyes... kinda like a warm feeling of home were ever I may be.
Keep up the Music!
Mary
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

heres some closer photos. The tune on the back of the monument is "The apples in winter"

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

CHasR wrote:omg...are those palm trees??? :o
Cabbage trees, Cordyline australis. They popularly if incorrectly get called Torquay (and Cornish, Manx, and Dracaena) palms though, due to their long-leaved tufty look which is often confused with palm trees.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

The CCE Northeast Regional Hall of Fame Inducteed Michael C. Hanafin and William Hanafin on November 6, 2004.

Here is the Link:

http://www.cceboston.org/hanafins.html
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Rory,
Wonderful pics! Brings me back to a child..

And if those were palm trees, for sure I'd pack my bags and stay! lolol...

I have the orig. picture of the brothers on this statue :)
Here it is via web, if I may?

http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/image ... m-michael/

Mary
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Thanks Irishpiper,

Although in need of a little update...

Eliy and I spent the last 3 months of her life living together so I gained many more stories.. Now all of William's children have left us but have the presents of their stories.

William every christmas holiday would bring his 3rd daughter, Mary as her steppin' was a real treat, to Newport, R.I. and entertain in several of the finest Mansions. He would also summers, be hirred to entertain for regatta lawn parties, weddings and high society parties. Here are a few gig spots he would frequent: I lived on Bellevue near the Elms and is still a great artist's area!!!

http://www.newportmansions.org/explore/the-breakers

I bearing the Hanafin name as my middle and do feel a little guilty that my only instrument being a lovely KalaTennor Uke although the love of irish music deeply engrained keeps me grounded... well kinda (had to move the boat while posting this and this being the 3rd attempt, hope it takes this time and doesn't have 3 posts as a result). LOL at least I did get the travel portion of william!!!

Thanks for that, crossin' fingers now ;)
Mary
Mary Hanafin Doonan

I have found this, has anyone been? Looks fun! Sept. maybe a good time for a visit???

http://www.dingletradfest.com/index.html

Rory,
Nice close ups :)