Who is making bags/cases/rolls these days?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Who is making bags/cases/rolls these days?

Post by Thomaston »

Now that I have an actual assortment of whistles from Eb down to A, I was wondering if anyone is currently making carrying cases of any type these days. The only one I've ever heard of is Sassafras, but they seem to still be on hiatus...
Or has anyone easily made their own?
Whistling Pops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Who is making bags/cases/rolls these days?

Post by Whistling Pops »

Have you checked to see if any are on ebay?
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

I've got one of these to hold my stone carving tools;
http://www.amazon.com/Arsenal-5782-Canv ... d_sim_hi_1
It may serve for whistles.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Thomaston wrote:Or has anyone easily made their own?
Yes (my designs made up by a friend!), and I keep meaning to do a blog piece with photos, 'plans' and rationale...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomaston wrote:I was wondering if anyone is currently making carrying cases of any type these days. ... Or has anyone easily made their own?
If you do a search through the old posts you will find a number of similar queries and some good suggestions on commercial sources.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80237
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81996
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79714

There are a couple eBay retailers that sell bags en mass these days.

My bags were made some years back by Kate Lozier of TuffBaggs. One holds my aluminum Burkes from high E down to low E.
Others hold the brass Burke whistles and low D/C whistles. Unfortunately, TuffBaggs do not seem to offer instrument bags on their website any longer. But that type of bag is fairly straightforward to cobble up. And my wife and I have made similar bags in the past using Supplex nylon for the exterior and Polar Fleece for the lining. But most any material can be used.

The simplest roll bags are a trifold design. They can be made from a towel - you choose the size depending on the whistles. One fold forms the outer bag or back. The second fold forms the inner bag or front. The third fold forms the flap which hold the whistles in the bag. The third flap does not have to be as large as the other two. Basically fold the first two fold over and sew along the outer edges to form a simple beg. Then sew pockets from the bottom edge up towards the opening of the bag. Spacing depends upon the diameter of your whistle bodies. Sew a diagonal if you want the heads to stay up near the top of the opening. Finally sew on ribbon or cord to tie around the whistle roll.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Feadoggie wrote:The simplest roll bags are a trifold design. They can be made from a towel - you choose the size depending on the whistles. One fold forms the outer bag or back. The second fold forms the inner bag or front. The third fold forms the flap which hold the whistles in the bag. The third flap does not have to be as large as the other two. Basically fold the first two fold over and sew along the outer edges to form a simple beg. Then sew pockets from the bottom edge up towards the opening of the bag. Spacing depends upon the diameter of your whistle bodies. Sew a diagonal if you want the heads to stay up near the top of the opening. Finally sew on ribbon or cord to tie around the whistle roll.
Yep, mine were made from towelling after my partial mock-ups with safety pins and old towels (all I had to hand!) suggested that the material had some merits for the job, but edged across the pocket tops and round the outsides with acrylic tape. While we'd originally planned to sew the diagonals (or separate 'ends' like your bag shown above) to suit complete whistle 'sets', further testing led us to leave the larger bag at three discrete lengths (several pockets each at low D, low F and A length) and the smaller one (for smaller whistles) at a single length for increased versatility (the point being that you're not 'losing' a slightly shorter whistle in a slightly overlength pocket, but can't put a longer one in a shorter pocket!). And we've left off straps or ties for the time being, with separate (non-fixed) straps currently suiting me fine.

Will try to get some photos and measurements up soon.

Master of nine?
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

I use Colin Goldie's bag, which is very functional. Before that I used an old keffiyeh, rolled the instruments in it and stuffed it in my bag.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Sassafrass Grove whistle rolls are truly wonderful. One can hope that Sarah returns to the fray, soon.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Rolls? pah! :D
(This only works if you have a small number of whistles......)
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

killthemessenger wrote:I use Colin Goldie's bag, which is very functional.
I'd enquired about the Goldie bags, but the flat-rate UK shipping cost (same price for one bag, two bags, a much more expensive whistle etc.) was pretty well prohibitive for what they were. So I told Brigitte I was getting my own made up and, friendly and interested as always, she was pleased about that!

:)

Master of nine?
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Michael Burke's pouches are of a very similar build and quality as the Goldie pouches (I have both). Short of a wooden box, both are as good as I've seen. He also sells 12 slot roll cases. I've never seen one, but I'd expect them to be of high quality as well. He sells the pouches for $5 and the roll cases for $40.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

DrPhill wrote:Rolls? pah! :D
Rolls, no. Yours looks to be more in the Rolls-Royce category, DrPhill. :) Nice work there!
JTC111 wrote:Michael Burke's pouches are of a very similar build and quality as the Goldie pouches (I have both). ... He also sells 12 slot roll cases. I've never seen one, but I'd expect them to be of high quality as well. He sells the pouches for $5 and the roll cases for $40.
Yes! I do have a bunch of Burke pouches and a couple of the roll bags. They are indeed quite useful and protect the whistles nicely. One thing I would offer as a comment on them though is that the outer vinyl layer on the roll bag can crack overtime and with frequent use. But still a good option.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of ebay, but I'll peruse the links and old threads. The Burke case looks promising.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Just in case of any misunderstanding, I meant the Goldie multi-whistle gig bag, not the pouches for individual whistles.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.