Some Paddy Richter tuned Diatonic Harmonicas for Irish Trad

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Some Paddy Richter tuned Diatonic Harmonicas for Irish Trad

Post by boyd »

OK...not an expert here !!! But I can bang out a good few tunes now.

I have a wee collection....Some Suzuki valved ProMasters and a Seydel, all in Paddy Richter tuning.
The Suzukis are around £50 and the Seydel circa £35.

So...
The Suzukis are much lighter to blow/draw on, which allows speed but demands breath control. Too much air and the note will be out of tune at times (though on a moothie that doesnt matter too much I reckon).
The light set-up has pros and cons....I think a small amp will help as the light playing is also quite quiet. Gets lost in a session, and when you try to play louder the tuning on one or two notes goes, or they just plain stop.

The Seydel is a bit more like a trad harmonica since the lack of valves means you need to shift more air through the reeds to get them to work. Its still an easy blow really (I have a good blues harp by Hohner that is much stiffer to play, prob designed for really muscular draw-bending) and the tone is also good. Bit louder/more forgiving if trying to be louder but might still benefit from a small amplifier.

If buying again I would invest in either Seydel or Suzuki..... Now I have a G, a D and a B I might get a Bflat if I can find one (to play along with a flute player mate who has a flute in Bb).

Incidentally, I also manage some tunes on conventional harmonicas, the Paddy Richter tuning allows a scale right down to the lowest (left hand) notes...1, 2 and 3, which sound great. The only missing note down there is achieved via a bend on the 2 draw, ok at times but not so good in fast note sequences.

Posting this mainly because there seems a lack of harmonica "stuff" here and its a grand wee instrument to add to the mix.

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

Ian Parfitt

Re: Some Paddy Richter tuned Diatonic Harmonicas for Irish Trad

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi Boyd

I also play ITM, mostly O'Carolan but will attempt any piece that takes my fancy and accompany my wife who plays fiddle, mandolin and Lap Harp.

I find that diatonics have their limitations, I have Hohner Silver Star in A and Lee Oscar in G . I play mainly Chromatic's (Hohner both Chromonica 270 in G and CX12 in D, Planetone C, Susuki Chromatix SCX-48 in D, Seydel De Luxe D and Standard G) which I know are far more expensive they do however give me that advantage of playing a range within a given key and by judicial breath control play in different keys and you don't have to bend to get the lower notes. I also play whistles.

I also agree not much on the forum regards these instruments. I would also say I too am far from being an expert.

Ian
VosperD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by VosperD »

I see this topic is a bit old but I have only just seen it.
I am a new to harmonicas and it will be a while before I play any Irish music in public!
Having recently discovered a few of the exponents of the various type of harmonica I realise that it is indeed an underrated instrument.
I started with a hohner Silver Star in G (now retuned to Paddy Richter) and started learning that there is more to Harmonicas and their tuning than first meets the eye. Then I got a Seydel solo config "Session" in G with valves on the lower notes. One reed broke and they replaced the whole thing with the steel version.
I have an old G Hohner 270 that I am bringing back to life. I would like to convert it to the irish tuning with the lower reed plate a semitone flat instead of sharp.
This should work with a lower reed plate from a 270 in F.
So if anyone reading this has one that might be a bit knocked about they want to sell cheap please get in touch.
I also live in north Somerset. Or BANES as they call it now.
Don
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I am a beginner and tried a few. I like the sound and feel of Seydel harmonicas more than Hohner Special 20s and Lee Oscars. On my Seydel low D Session the 7-blow reed gave up after only a short period, which was very disappointing. I was told that this is not unusual for the low D. Now I got a Seydel Session Steel low D, and just hope that the stainless steel reeds will last much better. A Seydel Session G has lasted well.
VosperD

Post by VosperD »

I have to say that I do like the Seydel Steel, and the company itself.
I ordered the G config Solo with brass reeds and they got my valve spec wrong so they just sent me a new pair of reedplates.
When the high G reed broke they sent me the steel reedplates and an orange comb plus the covers and all my old bits.
So short of a few screws I have enought to build a brass solo!
The spacing is fractionally wider than the Hohners so for me as a beginner it was better for me.
I'm tempted to buy a new Chromatic from them..... when I get some spare cash that is!
The Hohner Silver Star needs a bit more breath but it is amazing value. Might fit some windsavers one day to see what it does.
Not into bending notes I'm afraid. Doesn't work for me.
Don
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Its good to see some interest in this thread.
There must be a few moothie players out there, surely !!?!!!

:)

VosperD

Post by VosperD »

Well I don't see many harmonica players at sessions.
However, one did turn up at the sessiion in Priddy, Somerset a few months back.
I think he was playing Suzukis in various keys.
Don
boyd

Post by boyd »

There's a few around in Inverness-shire and Aberdeen-shire, I am finding.
Often the players have other instruments and the harmonica is an "extra".

I find the moothie lacks volume and gets drowned when competing against accordians or a loud flute or uilleann pipes.

Boyd