Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
NZJLY
antispam: No

Post by NZJLY »

Greetings. I use the show new posts button to see the new posts, and the mark forums read, so I can start with a fresh slate (so to speak) on my visits here. Recently the view new posts are giving me a list of six pages, the top ones are the new ones, and below that heaps of older posts.
Have I done something wrong? (browser is Opera), do I need to change a setting?, is is this a new feature :really: ? To be honest it is something that I can live with easily, but I thought I would ask.

Thank you, and wonderful forum by the way.

John
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New posts showing a lot more

Post by MTGuru »

I'm honestly not exactly sure how "Show new posts" interacts with your own logon history, board activity, etc.

I usually use "View active topics" instead. It gives me an identical first page to the other, and fewer pages in total. It's usually only the first page I'm interested in.

Sorry if that's not more helpful.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I've noticed this, too. I have "view new posts" bookmarked. It used to be that stuff from previous visits would be marked as read and wouldn't show up unless there had been a new comment since my last visit. Now it all stays there unless I manually click "mark forums read." It doesn't bother me either way, just letting the OP know I see what he's seeing.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

If you guys delete your Chiffboard cookie (should be forums.chiffandfipple.com), does it make any difference?

Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I just deleted the cookies, I'll see if it helps...
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Cookie deletion made no difference.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thomaston wrote:Cookie deletion made no difference.
OK, thanks for checking. :-)

Only thing I can think of is that we recently upped our server process thread limit, which may have an effect on the number of pages displayed. But that's just a lame guess.

Denny

Post by Denny »

NZJLY wrote:Greetings. I use the show new posts button to see the new posts, and the mark forums read, so I can start with a fresh slate (so to speak) on my visits here. Recently the view new posts are giving me a list of six pages, the top ones are the new ones, and below that heaps of older posts.
I'm only getting 3 pages of posts, descending chronological order, the ones I haven't read are marked correctly. (yes, that means all posts from all forums) Firefox
ah, you are getting 15 posts to a page, aren't ya?
Thomaston wrote:Now it all stays there unless I manually click "mark forums read."
I've had the forum has a new post in error, and vary rarely a thread has a new post in error. Rebooting fixes it.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
NZJLY

Post by NZJLY »

Denny wrote: ah, you are getting 15 posts to a page, aren't ya?
I get 50 per page.

I haven't tried viewing in Firefox but them I am happy with 50 posts per page. At 15 per page I would have 23 pages not 7

John
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You do understand that you only need to pay attention to the top posts with the yellow icons, right? Think of it as a sorted list of recent threads/topics with the ones you haven't seen sorted so that they're at the top. See if you want to read any of those, and ignore the remainder - no need to keep flipping pages. I use a bookmark that takes me to "View New Posts", since I stay logged in, and use that as an index. I then click and open a new window for each of the topics I wish to read, then click on "Board Index" to see all the C&F sections, then click on "Mark Forums Read". That way, next visit to "View New Posts" (which might be in only minutes), I see only the newest/updated topics at the top, and can see which have been changed since I last read (often immediately after I've made my own silly posts).
Denny

Post by Denny »

NZJLY wrote:
Denny wrote: ah, you are getting 15 posts to a page, aren't ya?
I get 50 per page.

I haven't tried viewing in Firefox but them I am happy with 50 posts per page. At 15 per page I would have 23 pages not 7

John
That should be server controlled, not client.

MT is that value stored in one of the files?
And if it isn't board level how did NZJLY's value end up there? (and is there a similar value for "View new posts", etc...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.