MK Pro & Overton tonal differences

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

MK Pro & Overton tonal differences

Post by Mikethebook »

As a complete beginner, my sensitivity to different whistle tones is not yet fully developed. Would anyone with experience of both MK Pro Low Ds and Overton (Colin Goldie) Low Ds like to try and describe the difference between their respective tonal qualities. Do they both produce the "cosmic drainpipe" sound? To my untrained ears the MKs tone sounds fatter rather than rounded and almost akin to the sound of the Uillean Pipes but then that's my ears.
therykos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: MK Pro & Overton tonal differences

Post by therykos »

Mikethebook, I don't think that it makes a difference how you describe the different tonal qualities of whistles. If anything it will close your ears to hearing what the whistles really sound like because you will have a preconceived idea of what they sound like. Everyones understanding of different words, and especially descriptive words, are influenced by their experiences. So my idea of "resonant" or "bright" or "fat" etc is different to everyone else's... and none of us are right.
The best thing that you can do is to listen to as many recordings of the respective whistles and listen carefully and deeply. Your ear will develop over time and you will learn what you like and don't like in a sound. Forget about trying to describe the sounds. Words just get in the way of your direct experience of the tone. The answer to your request is in the sounds of the whistles themselves and not in anyone else's description of it. It's just another obstacles getting in the way of the sound as it is.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I agree with therykos, mostly, that verbal description is pretty meaningless, unless both describer and describee already have extensive shared listening and playing experience with many different examples - and I mean live, not recordings or clips. Cases of descriptive words meaning very different things to different people are rampant on the Chiffboard. And the physical response of the instrument is at least as important to a player's perception as the acoustics.

For example, "the MK's tone sounds ... akin to the sound of the Uilleann pipes" makes absolutely no sense to me. I can hardly think of 2 instruments that sound less alike than low whistle and pipes. If your perception allows for that comparison, then I'd have no confidence that anything I could describe would communicate anything, because we're living in different sonic universes.

Mind you, that's not a put-down. The perception of tone quality takes time and practice to develop. Beginners are often listening for the "wrong things" from the perspective of more experienced players. And a given instrument in my hands may sound quite different in yours.

To choose a good instrument, you look around at what the good players out there are actually playing. They're the vanguard, and their choices speak louder than words. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MTGuru wrote:I can hardly think of 2 instruments that sound less alike than low whistle and pipes.

VS

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Wise guy, eh? :lol:

Actually, pipes and hurdy-gurdy ...

Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Well said, and the pictures say it all.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

MTGuru wrote:And a given instrument in my hands may sound quite different in yours.
I'll bet you a buck if we both take a whistle and whack it up against a tree, my clunk will sound just as good as yours. :D
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:I agree with therykos, mostly, that verbal description is pretty meaningless, unless both describer and describee already have extensive shared listening and playing experience with many different examples - and I mean live, not recordings or clips. Cases of descriptive words meaning very different things to different people are rampant on the Chiffboard. And the physical response of the instrument is at least as important to a player's perception as the acoustics.
And I agree with both of you, and was thinking just this morning how odd it was that we (yes, I've done it!) tend to use terms like 'flutey' to describe softer (even woollier) whistle tones when most of us are trying to sound anything but flutey (by that definition) on flute!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I should clarify things a bit. When I compared the tone of the MK Pro to the Uillean Pipes I was meaning just the chanter when played alone. Listening to the low octave of the MK Pro reminds me a little of the fat honking tone of the chanter. I'm probably just digging myself into a bigger hole though!!! ☺
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mikethebook wrote:I'm probably just digging myself into a bigger hole though!!! ☺
Yep. :P

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Ha ha. Moving swiftly on, whilst you (MTGuru) are in conversation, did you see yourself mentioned in a recent thread called Whistle Angle referring to the different angles at which people hold whistles (especially low whistles) in relation to their mouth.

Dr Phill wrote:

Everything affects the whistle tone. The angle at which air enters the windway is one of the many variables that can be used to control the whistle tone. I have not studied those players, but I would not be surprised if the angle of the whistle changed with the note they are playing, the tune they are playing, the whistle they are using, and whether they are posing for a photo.

I think MTGuru posted an essay on this topic which would be of interest, but I am not sure what to search for.

Can you point me to that essay by chance?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oh, sorry Mike, I forgot. Sure, I'll track it down for you.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:Oh, sorry Mike, I forgot. Sure, I'll track it down for you.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84670&p=1043822#p1043822

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Hey guys what about this!! Taken from the Piper's Grip low whistle web-site:

The description of the "Vibe" series of low whistles on the Alba Whistles website reads (and I quote): "This is a very Uilleann pipey sounding and is not in any way a replacement for our Standard Low D but more to complement it, it has a differant sound to the Standard Low D more Vibrato hence Vibe."

See, I'm not the only one comparing the sound of a low whistle to that of the Irish pipes.☺
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

Link to Alba sound samples:

http://www.albawhistles.com/sounds/index.php

Seems to be marketing. Sounds nothing like pipes to me. ;)