Best Flutes in Delrin or other Polymer

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andref
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Best Flutes in Delrin or other Polymer

Post by andref »

Hi,

I'm more and more considering upgrading my M&E Keyless Delrin in D.

And I have made up my mind, I want to continue D keyless and I still like delrin, for it is care free and the sound is really good. So, I was wandering if could any of you point me to good Delrin/Polymer flute makers and what is your impression on those instruments. I have found a couple, even some mentioned here, but it is difficult to sort them out without trying the instruments, which right now is an impossibility. BTW I'm looking for a *really* good instrument (as best as possible with polymer)

I'm in Europe and would prefer a European (Continental, Irish or Bristish) maker due to the importing costs

Thanks for your help,

Andre
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Best Flutes in Delrin or other Polymer

Post by plunk111 »

Can't help you with European versions, but shipping from the states isn't that much...

I've owned M&E, Copley, and Cochran flutes in delrin and they all played well for me. I would have to say that the M&E was the "less goodest" of the three however. The Copley and Cochran flutes are very similar, play-wise, with the Copley being my slight favorite because of its short foot. You could probably get a Cochran with a short foot as well, however (mine wasn't).

My current delrin is a Copley - I use it a lot when I don't want to "risk" my wooden flutes. It is a short-foot with silver rings, an elliptical embouchure, and a C-nat thumbhole. The elliptical embouchure and thumbhole are no-cost add-ons from Dave.

Good luck in your search.

Oh yeah, as an aside - Dave Copley is making fully-keyed delrins now at a very good price!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

If you are ignoring the M&E and Dixon 3-piece polymer flutes (for whatever reason as they both have supporters) there are a variety of fine flutes available in polymer. I've heard great things about Copley, Cochran, Forbes, Seery, and Somers (have owned the latter two and currently play a Somers small bore Rudall). McGee, Ward and even Burns occasionally flirt with the material as well, though admittedly Casey has only posted his intent to try it. These are all great flutes, though certainly different. Your selection should depend on what you are trying to achieve.

I certainly haven't had a chance to try all of these flutes, but from some of my own experience as well as what I've read on this forum and elsewhere:

Will you be playing a lot in large sessions? Might want to consider a Pratten influenced design like the Forbes, Somers or Seery for volume. You also might want to have a "conventional" tuning slide (like you have on your M&E) to make it easier to tune to that button accordian...

Backpacking or playing for long periods of time? My M&E was a brick, almost anything would be an improvement.

Running out of air and want a more "efficient" flute? Think McGee GLP or Somers small bore

Like the "sweet" second octave Rudall sound? Rudall influenced designs are available from all but Forbes and Seery I believe.

Ergonomics an issue? I like a 5-piece flute with a joint between the left and right hand to match my antique flutes. Some with small hands prefer a more ergonomic hole placement (I believe that Casey makes a specialty of this, but have large hands so has never been an issue for me).

As you can see there are a lot of personal choices that can go into your "ultimate" selection. Please note that preferences change over time as well. Initially I was looking for the loudest flute with a strong low D honk and that lead me over to the Pratten camp. I have now switched almost exclusively to Rudall style flutes (though my Ward Hawkes blackwood flute is still one of my favorites, and is a great compromise between the two camps).

Good luck with your search. Enjoy the voyage. Note that if you try one of the better manufacturers and find it isn't for you there is most likely a good market here on the board. You may lose a bit in the transaction, but you can think of it as a "rental fee" :lol:
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'm another Copley fan, but mine's blackwood. I've owned two Seery delrin flutes, (foolishly sold off the first), and find them to be very close in look, feel and sound to the Copley. You can often find them used here in the $500 range -- a great bargain IMO.

I also really like the Seery's excellent, hydraulic-feeling, tuning slide. And the fact that I can leave it assembled and ready for play whenever I feel like grabbing it. Highly recommended!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

One maker located in Ireland who works in delrin that comes to mind is Francois Baubet. I haven't seen his instruments but others here have commented favorably.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I've played a Seery for a period, and found that the Forbes is superior.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Hamilton can make his flutes in delrin, same price as wooden.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I've owned M&E and Seerys and to be honest wasn't really impressed that much by either. I did try a Forbes at a session once and thought it was top-notch. I haven't tried a Copley in delrin but I do have an Eb by Dave and it is a great instrument.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

andref wrote:I'm in Europe and would prefer a European (Continental, Irish or Bristish) maker due to the importing costs
Get a Hamilton!

But really you are kind of asking "What's the best car in the color red?". You might want to first consider the design of the flute and what you require of a design.

I like the Copley and Forbes flutes in delrin.

And I don't think your M&E is made of delrin (I own three of them). They are made from a softer polymer.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

I have a McGee in delrin, same price as wood, a great flute!
huffin' and puffin'
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I've tried/owned M&E, Seery, Copley, Cochran, Forbes. I think Forbes is the best if you can handle the large holes of a Pratten-style flute.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Ask Loic if his Hamilton Delrin is still for sale:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84031
I've owned one myself. It is a dream flute. Stupid me for selling it.
Christian
andref
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by andref »

ChristianRo wrote:Ask Loic if his Hamilton Delrin is still for sale:
I did! Still waiting for his answer though. This might be exactly what I was looking for. I always loved the sound of the Hamilton's, though not sure if I'll adjust to a Pratten...
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

andref wrote:
ChristianRo wrote:Ask Loic if his Hamilton Delrin is still for sale:
I did! Still waiting for his answer though. This might be exactly what I was looking for. I always loved the sound of the Hamilton's, though not sure if I'll adjust to a Pratten...
If you're thinking Pratten, the Forbes delrin is very similar in feel to a Hamilton - I was using my Hammy and another fluter had the Forbes. We switched off a few times, and I'd forget while playing which flute I was using. The sound was close enough, with me as the common denominator; seems to me, if I ever needed a delrin backup for my Hamilton, the Forbes would more than serve. And, while I'm a true fan of Hamilton's flutes and recommend them heartily, the Forbes is considerably more affordable.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What's the best delrin/polymer rudally flute?