Get Well Soon, Nano!

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Get Well Soon, Nano!

Post by I.D.10-t »

MTGuru wrote:Actually - and maybe I'm naïve - but this seems like a significant legal/ethical issue to me. If you don't "own" your own body parts, who does? Certainly not the hospital. If anything, it's the hospital who should need your permission to keep your organs, not the other way around.
Not really keep, but haz-mat disposal for the most part. For the most part the lab probably doesn't use all of the blood, urine, saliva and other samples after they run the tests they need, and for the most part who would want them back? The alternative is to trust that the patent will keep the item safely preserved (and usually the preservative is a hazard) and when done, properly dispose of it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Nanohedron wrote:The knowledge that one should always have après-ABS evening wear in one's wardrobe...
I googled apres-ABS to find out what it meant and the only search results that I understood was Nano's post. What's this mean?

Back in the day, I wasn't permitted to receive my extracted wisdom teeth. I explained my Mom had all of my teeth saved. I explained the tooth fairy still came and I had $80 coming to me. I was told "No, they're an environmental hazard." Summa beaches.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, sorry. In this case ABS would mean "ABdominal Surgery".

As for "après", it's French. :wink:

...for "after". I just wanted to put on airs. You know, like when Americans say "après-ski". So fabulous. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

And there I was thinking ABS was Advanced Braking System (anti-lock brakes to you and me)...... but that speculation just juddered to a halt.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
joconnor58
Tell us something.: Not a new musician, but fairly new to the Uilleann Pipes. I am primarily a bass player, studied jazz bass in university, but also play, piano, saxophone, clarinet and drums. Looking forward to a long and happy experience with the pipes!

Post by joconnor58 »

I went straight to:

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

But that's because I work in manufacturing.
Learning to breathe with my elbows.....
dwest

Post by dwest »

joconnor58 wrote:I went straight to:

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene...
Me too, drain pipes and canoes.
mayo_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mayo_piper »

Jason, Get well soon - at least you get to eat all the ICE CREAM you want ! ......(wait, or was that when your tonsils are being taken out...)

:party: :party: :party:
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Just be aware that people will find it harder to understand you ,now you have no appendix.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

mutepointe wrote: Back in the day, I wasn't permitted to receive my extracted wisdom teeth. I explained my Mom had all of my teeth saved. I explained the tooth fairy still came and I had $80 coming to me. I was told "No, they're an environmental hazard." Summa beaches.
I remember getting an extracted gold crown that had worn a hole from biting on one too many popcorn grains. It wasn't the money that the tooth fairy would have given me a few years earlier, but a mall jeweler did purchase it as dental gold. It was enough money to walk to the food court and buy lunch.

ABS means "brakes" in my mechanical world.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
OMG! How can you say such a thing! Polyvinyl elitism!
Image Image
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

The koala's appendix is up to two feet long. Count your blessings, Nan-man.

As for your own appendectomy, I'm pretty sure I witnessed Dr. Hibbert carve the thing out of you with Bart's pocketknife - in front of a stunned crowd - right there on the sidewalk in front of Keegan's. He shouted "stand clear!" and lobbed the offending organ into Surdyck's parking lot where it detonated on impact.

You may have missed this whole thing in your fevered state.

tommykleen
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

dwest wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:
OMG! How can you say such a thing! Polyvinyl elitism!
Image Image
I have one of those brown "things" in your photo. I forget what you call it. It plays pretty good, though. At least my granddaughter thinks it's cool.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

tommykleen wrote:The koala's appendix is up to two feet long. Count your blessings, Nan-man.

As for your own appendectomy, I'm pretty sure I witnessed Dr. Hibbert carve the thing out of you with Bart's pocketknife - in front of a stunned crowd - right there on the sidewalk in front of Keegan's. He shouted "stand clear!" and lobbed the offending organ into Surdyck's parking lot where it detonated on impact.

You may have missed this whole thing in your fevered state.

tommykleen
That's pretty awesome, Tom. You should take a hard look at the expiration date on the milk in your fridge.

But enough about you. Yesterday I received what I think was a sympathy call message:

"Hello, Nano. I hear rumors that you're missing something, but already home and in good spirits.

I had the same thing two years ago, myself!

Only I was in the hospital for three weeks.

And I nearly died of it.

Anyway, I'll keep checking up on you and see how you're doing."

*click*

-- I heard more resentment than concern, so...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
But enough about you. Yesterday I received what I think was a sympathy call message:

"Hello, Nano. I hear rumors that you're missing something, ...

*click*
Not really, it was just unnecessary baggage. How can you lose something you never used.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

It was like it was collecting dust bunnies. Pitiless killer dust bunnies.
rorybbellows wrote:Just be aware that people will find it harder to understand you ,now you have no appendix.
They never used it before, anyway. They'd just stare and say, "Huh?", and click the remote at me. So, I don't anticipate any changes in that department.