Low G whistle, what to try next?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
davethetrike
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Low G whistle, what to try next?

Post by davethetrike »

Hi
I'm looking for a low G whistle for Morris Music, to play for dance.

I've currently tried/own
Reviol, lovely but, fragile G that doesn't work (for me) at speed.
Alba, lovely whistle and fine in the first Octave but the second Octave is too breathy/chiffy.
Dixon, plastic - quite good but lacks weight..

I'm not adverse to chiff/breathines (love my DShaw) but the note must be clear through the chiff.

I'm also happy with clarity, my current D choice is a Burke which works for every tune.

Basically I'm looking for a good all round low G. That will play well alongside other instruments outside and in. If I'm playing on my own I simply switch to the D.....

I'd like to keep the price below £100.
Hotblack

Re: Low G whistle, what to try next?

Post by Hotblack »

How about a Tuneable Susato. Yours for the princely sum of £45. Soundwise it has plenty of weight so hopefully will hold itself amongst melodeons and I think should be good for playing outside.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
davethetrike

Post by davethetrike »

Actually might me worth a try, I've discounted Susato because I grew out of (so to speak) the D and Hi G during my initial whistle collecting phase but it might be just the ticket

Thanks
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

Any low G is far too quiet to play in the open air.
technowhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Hans Bracker makes a nice Low G. I've never tried mine outside though...

Edited to add word 'NEVER' heheheh
Last edited by technowhistle on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
davethetrike

Post by davethetrike »

technowhistle wrote:Hans Bracker makes a nice Low G. I've tried mine outside though...
Thanks I've also used the Alba outside with other musicians...its certainly not at the front of the stage but it's fun :)

Or did you mean never tried mine outside?
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Brain elsewhere!

Sorry. I'll change it.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I've played my low G at outdoor events for circle dancing, and at the beach with the thunder of the waves and with cross winds. But the price is more than £100, it is an entirely hand built instrument.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

I just traded away a Chieftain Low G that could be heard in the next town. It was definitely loud enough to play outside. My Goldie/Overton is loud enough to play outside as well. The Chieftain may be less than 100 but the Goldie won't be. I don't own any Susato's but I've heard the mid-range and low and they don't have the ear splitting qualities of the high D's and such.

You might put a WTB in the classified section of C&F and see what pops up. It has saved me quite a lot of trial and tribulation many times.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
technowhistle

Post by technowhistle »

I think the Bracker would be good outside because of these things around the windway (possibly the wrong term).

http://bracker.co/_wikis/music/uploads/ ... F-head.jpg

Which maybe give some protection to wind blowing the sound away...

But, like hans said, it is more than £100...

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

I had a Goldie/Overton low G that was very nice, and plenty loud. however, i sold it and now play an Ethnicwind low G which is 20% quieter, but has (dare i say?) a nicer tone and more even volume between octaves.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
davethetrike

Post by davethetrike »

hans wrote:I've played my low G at outdoor events for circle dancing, and at the beach with the thunder of the waves and with cross winds. But the price is more than £100, it is an entirely hand built instrument.
Hi Hans I looked at your site yesterday and sent you an email, I look forward to your reply.
ecohawk wrote:I just traded away a Chieftain Low G that could be heard in the next town. It was definitely loud enough to play outside. My Goldie/Overton is loud enough to play outside as well. The Chieftain may be less than 100 but the Goldie won't be. I don't own any Susato's but I've heard the mid-range and low and they don't have the ear splitting qualities of the high D's and such.

You might put a WTB in the classified section of C&F and see what pops up. It has saved me quite a lot of trial and tribulation many times.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

ecohawk
I have tabs on an Overton Low G, but at present the owner is slooow in replying.
dspmusik wrote:I had a Goldie/Overton low G that was very nice, and plenty loud. however, i sold it and now play an Ethnicwind low G which is 20% quieter, but has (dare i say?) a nicer tone and more even volume between octaves.
i've researched the etnicwind whistles and they do look good, however postage and (perhaps) getting caught for customs can almost double the price. They're not off the list by any means.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Thanks Dave, got it! I'd like to add here as well that my standard Bracker low G is comparable in volume with an older Overton low G I got here. I can also offer a wide bore low G with a 19mm bore (my standard low G has 18mm bore) and wider windway/window (basically what I use for my standard low F). This plays louder, and with a very strong bottom end. But it needs more air and needs more push on the high second octave end. The tone has also less strong harmonics, so it sounds a bit purer and flute-like. If you want a loud whistle for outdoor playing and have good lung power this may be a whistle to try.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for a Water Weasel PVC whistle by the late great Glenn Schultz. I have one and it's one of the best whistles I've ever played, any material, any price. They're hard to find though.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
davethetrike

Post by davethetrike »

brewerpaul wrote:If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for a Water Weasel PVC whistle by the late great Glenn Schultz. I have one and it's one of the best whistles I've ever played, any material, any price. They're hard to find though.
I shall indeed keep an eye out.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I've now ordered a wide bore G from Hans :D
Who has been most helpful. I'll post a follow up when it arrives -