Re****ers. Who said they're not good for....

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
JackCampin
antispam: No

Re: Re****ers. Who said they're not good for....

Post by JackCampin »

B recorders are more common than you'd think. Mine is girly transparent purple with glittery bits. Probably sold as a C descant but they got something wrong and ended up at A=415. I haven't checked the pitch of other transparent-purple-with-glittery-bits recorders but it might be worth taking a punt on one next time you see one on EBay. It works pretty well, in tune with itself using normal Baroque fingering.
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

JackCampin wrote:B recorders are more common than you'd think. Mine is girly transparent purple with glittery bits.
.......but it might be worth taking a punt on one next time you see one on EBay.
Like ... I can't wait :lol:

Collectors item that is. For teenage girls :)

Corgi - you don't want to transpost rom the treble clef C fingerings for the descant, to bass clef F fingerings, like I started off, after resuming the bass recorder and forgetting how to transpose.

Basically, I'd convert the bass F fingerings into treble clef C fingerings.

Then I'd convert the musical notation, into treble clef reference.

Then I'd apply the treble clef C fingerings, for sounding the correct bass F fingerings, to the treble clef equivalent of the bass clef note.

You can see how clunky and slow that is! I'd be holding a semi-quaver for about 3 seconds, trying to work out what my next fingering was going to be :lol:

The easiest way to transpose a bass F recorder to read bass music:

1. Imagine our bass recorder is a standard descant and use standard descant C fingerings.
2. Just finger the read note, as if it was treble clef, for 1 ledger line above (exactly 2 notes e.g. 'f' is fingered as a 'c' note; 'g' is fingered as a 'b'; 'a' is fingered as a 'c') and finger as if it was a descant.

Simple huh?!

Accidentals etc raise minor issues....

Why couldn't I have done this earlier!
Corgicrazed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Corgicrazed »

When I first got my sopranino I knew so little about the differences between it and the descant! I was playing it like a descant and with songs that were meant for the descant! I like recording songs that have parts and then putting them together with Audacity. You can pretty well imagine how weird it sounded!

Now, because of research that I did, I know better. I still can't quite understand how I managed to make that mistake.lol. :lol:
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Corgicrazed wrote:When I first got my sopranino I knew so little about the differences between it and the descant! I was playing it like a descant and with songs that were meant for the descant! I like recording songs that have parts and then putting them together with Audacity. You can pretty well imagine how weird it sounded!

Now, because of research that I did, I know better. I still can't quite understand how I managed to make that mistake.lol. :lol:
You aren't 2ft high with leprechaun like features are you lol.

Sopraninos do my ears in. I dread to think of how many wars have been started by the inventor of the gherklein.

I have Audacity but I don't know how to use it: if I do a video recording, can I add a sound track from another source over it? I.e. if i record an outdoor video, can I sandwich an indoor mic recording to cover it using Audacity, or do I need something else?
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

if i record an outdoor video, can I sandwich an indoor mic recording to cover it using Audacity
... briefly, No!

Audacity is an audio editing package, you might use it to clean up and balance the audio track, but you'd need video editing software to merge an audio track into a movie ... try VirtualDub for a nice piece of freeware :wink:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Corgicrazed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Corgicrazed »

I like to use my sopranino when my brother and two sister's are playing their violins. It's the only recorder which I can hear while playing with them. No matter how loud they play, even if they throw a piano in, I can still here it rising above the chaos. I don't think the neighbors have complained yet....lol. :D

As for Audacity, I use a computer mic,which as you can imagine doesn't sound very good. You can record something alongside an earlier recording, then save it as an MP3. But unless you use earphones you get a double of the first part, which makes one part sound too loud and solid, if ya' know what I mean....I'm planning on getting a good mic soon, then I'll post some stuff on here.

Kypfer is right about Audacity, it's strictly for sound. I don't have a good camera at the moment so I'm reduced to using Audacity. The only camera I have right now is a really old digital camera that barely works and doesn't even take sound vids! :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Kypfer wrote:
if i record an outdoor video, can I sandwich an indoor mic recording to cover it using Audacity
... briefly, No!

Audacity is an audio editing package, you might use it to clean up and balance the audio track, but you'd need video editing software to merge an audio track into a movie ... try VirtualDub for a nice piece of freeware :wink:

Thanks for the recommendation!

I don't have much patience for computers and technology though. Will I be challenged, trying to use it?

Wonder if it's easier just to get a Sony handcam or something that I can just plug in the datacard and upload straight away....but is the sound quality up to it?

I like to use my sopranino when my brother and two sister's are playing their violins. It's the only recorder which I can hear while playing with them. No matter how loud they play, even if they throw a piano in, I can still here it rising above the chaos. I don't think the neighbors have complained yet....lol.
That's quite a challenge!

Nothing against violinists - I love violins ... but anyone less than a Grade 8 violinist sounds like torture to me. I couldn't play anything with that kind of racket going on! There are some instruments which are just really painful to listen to whilst the player practices!
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

I don't have much patience for computers and technology though. Will I be challenged, trying to use it?
VirtualDub is no more difficult to use than Audacity. VirtualDub will incorporate a new audio track into an existing video ... how well it synchronises is entirely up to you. You'll need to play the new track EXACTLY like the original ... if you're that good, or are used to using a metronome, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the odd variation here or there, or slightest variation in speed, will become very apparent when watching the dubbed movie ... fingers moving before or after the note etc, especially towards the end, when any slight speed differences will have had time to accumulate.

The sound quality on many modern cameras can be suprisingly good, provided you don't overload the microphone by playing too close! A few practice runs will soon establish a reasonably optimal distance to work from.

Good luck :)
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Yes - it's the synchronisation issue which worries me. I can't imagine it would be easy to start and make the vid match the image.

My meter keeping is really dire. This is why I have to play solo :pint:

I'm not a great video cam user, but I have a 8mm video.

Is it possible to record on 8mm video and upload onto computer? I don't have a t.v. btw.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

Is it possible to record on 8mm video and upload onto computer
... yes, if the camera has an appropriate output, most likely would be FireWire, for which you'll need a FireWire socket on the computer, else you can take the analogue video & audio outputs from the camera and play them into a TV or video-capture card in the computer.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Kypfer wrote:
Is it possible to record on 8mm video and upload onto computer
... yes, if the camera has an appropriate output, most likely would be FireWire, for which you'll need a FireWire socket on the computer, else you can take the analogue video & audio outputs from the camera and play them into a TV or video-capture card in the computer.

This is awful. I don't have one on my current computer, and the other ones I have all seem to be dead.

I'll have to figure out what outputs I have on the Sony 8mm cam when I find it. I hope it's not too much bother. Then I'll upload some images of the recorder in action :)