Blue "Mikey" stereo microphone V2 for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Blue "Mikey" stereo microphone V2 for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Post by eskin »

I picked up one of these from Professional Sound and Music here in San Diego to use with my iPhone 3GS for session recordings. I am very impressed both with the sound and build quality of the microphone.

http://www.bluemic.com/mikeyforipod/

It has three gain level presets and the head pivots for a variety of usage scenarios. Also has a stereo line-in jack.

Apple changed the dock pinouts to remove the analog audio inputs on the latest iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, and generation 4 iPod Touch, so this microphone unfortunately won't work on those devices. It works perfectly with the older iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS, as well as the generation 1-3 iPod Touch. Even works with the generation 1-4 iPod Nano as well the older hard disk based iPods.

The microphone MSRP is $79.00.

For recording software, I've been using iProRecorder by Bias ($0.99 on the iTunes App Store), quite pleased with the results:

http://www.iprorecorder.com/
eskin

Re: Blue "Mikey" stereo microphone V2 for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Post by eskin »

I'm happy to report that Bias has update their iProRecorder app so that it no longer crashes if you lock the device to turn the screen off, then unlock the screen. Much better now. Previously, you had to leave the display on all the time when recording, which used up the battery very quickly on the iPhone.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Coupla questions: Have you tried it with iTalk? That's what I use for recording - it's quite good! Also, it appears that it doesn't work with iPhone 4. Is that still true?
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
eskin

Post by eskin »

It can't work with iPhone 4 or either of the iPads (or iPod Touch 4th Generation) since Apple removed the analog audio input pins from the dock connector on those devices. For those, someone will have to release a microphone with a built-in A/D convertor. Haven't tried it with iTalk, but so far it has worked with every other recording app I've tried as well as with the iStroboSoft tuner app.