Hoza 5 key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
totst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by totst »

Its been 3 days now since I received my 5 key Ironwood flute from Mark Hoza. Initial reactions:
1. Beautiful wood grain. Ironwood is definitely a pretty wood and Mark says its denser too. I dont know if thats good or bad.
2. The keywork is fine. No problem with the keys. Alot better than the keywork on my M&E.The Bb is operated by the RH 1st finger rather than the LH thumb. This is better for me as I play sax and some clarinet too.
3. Though not an easy instrument to play. Once you get that sweet spot, it sounds just great. Nice even rich tone with plenty of volume. It took me about 2 days playing 10 min each session to get the blowing right and now it just toots!
4. Intonation is just excellent . Checked it on my tuner and just about every note is spot on. Only trouble is getting used to the large holes. I find myself sometimes sliding notes when I dont want to. But I am getting better.
Mark put up images on:
http://www.woodenflutemaker.com

Tots
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Wow! That must be Mark's first keyed flute?

If so, a great start for him. Enjoy a collector's item.
totst

Post by totst »

Mark put up a sound sample for the 5 key. I'm playing on the sample. Please stop by and give a listen. http://www.woodenflutemaker.com.
Thanks.

Tots
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey gang, you'll have to scroll down Hoza's page a bit to find the tune Tots played, but it's worth the effort.

Cool tune Tots, nice playing! That Hoza flute sounds good :smile:

Loren
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Very nice Tots! It almost sounds like a violin in a couple of places... very pleasing round sound.

Erik
totst

Post by totst »

THanks for the nice words guys. The great thing about this flute is that it can be played with a hard biting sound, too. I'm working on some reels that will show just that and a Bach sonata which will feature the keys. I'll send them to Mark for posting and probably to Clips and Snips too.Hope you guys give a listen then too.

Tots