First post practice and short intro

You can come in here and play around until you get the hang of forum posts. It's unlikely you'll be yelled at.
Akitamom
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

First post practice and short intro

Post by Akitamom »

OK here is my first post. I haven't been on a forum in quite awhile. Kinda surprised they are still around frankly. (happily of course since I clearly sought this one out) I can't seem to figure out how to make a photo small enough to use for an avatar so I'll be playing with that in my spare time. I am not exactly technically savy so this might take awhile.

I am a penny whistle beginner but I have played saxophone and flute in the past. (tho not very well I am afraid) Looking forward to learning from others here.
Marie in Maine

"Real training is not accomplished with brute force, but through understanding of the animal." Nickolai Pavlenkov ~ Russian Tiger Trainer

My avatar reads "We strive to be worthy of their devotion." It is a drawing of one of my tattoos.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: First post practice and short intro

Post by maki »

Akitamom wrote:OK here is my first post. I haven't been on a forum in quite awhile. Kinda surprised they are still around frankly. (happily of course since I clearly sought this one out) I can't seem to figure out how to make a photo small enough to use for an avatar so I'll be playing with that in my spare time. I am not exactly technically savy so this might take awhile.

I am a penny whistle beginner but I have played saxophone and flute in the past. (tho not very well I am afraid) Looking forward to learning from others here.
Hello and welcome Akitamom.
What's your whistle, and what do you like or want to ply on it?
Akitamom

Post by Akitamom »

I have a Meg in D made by Clarke. I'm planning on getting a Susato but my local music store doesn't carry them. I am interested in most anything when it comes to music but I do love the celtic sounding stuff. I came to the penny whistle because of a group called Enter the Haggis. I loved their sound so asked about the instrument after attending one of their concerts. (Wow those guys are talented!) I've always loved playing music even though it doesn't come easily to me.

Thanks for the welcome and asking!
Marie in Maine

"Real training is not accomplished with brute force, but through understanding of the animal." Nickolai Pavlenkov ~ Russian Tiger Trainer

My avatar reads "We strive to be worthy of their devotion." It is a drawing of one of my tattoos.
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Hello, and welcome to the board.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Akitamom

Post by Akitamom »

Thanks! I don't suppose there is a place where you can just pick an avatar that is the right size is there?
Marie in Maine

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

There used to be websites offering free avatars in various sizes; I got mine from one such. I'll bet such sites are still out there, but expect to wade thru some gnarly stuff from time to time on your searches. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The user control panel allows you to pick from photos on your computer
Maximum dimensions; width: 110 pixels, height: 110 pixels, file size: 30.74 KiB.
You can shrink images or cut small parts out of a larger image to make an avatar, or find one as mentioned.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

shrunken images?

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:There used to be websites offering free avatars in various sizes; I got mine from one such.
When I think of the effort ...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:There used to be websites offering free avatars in various sizes; I got mine from one such.
When I think of the effort ...
Mine is an original. I call it "Pure Dove Bursting from the Consuming Flames of Destruction Shattering the Dark Night Void (No. 4)." It is obviously a derivative response to the message of El Lissitzky's "Beat the Whites with the Red Wedge" which I believe was an answer to the question "What is Black and White and Red all over?"
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

I designed my avatar to demonstrate military-grade stealth technology. As you can('t) see, it works quite well.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, chicken, innit?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Cluckin' right it is!
Akitamom

Post by Akitamom »

~sigh~ I have fought with my computer for at least an hour trying to shrink photos to become an avatar. Apparently I can't get any of them small enough to upload. I swear this can be done yet here I am ALSO in stealth mode. :-?
Marie in Maine

farmer

Post by farmer »

Akitamom, for your avatar go to tinypic.com (free)

You can upload your photo then resize it to avatar size (not more than 100x100 pixels). Then just copy the url and use it for the forum avatar.

Or.......if you have microsoft paint or most photo software you should be able resize your photo to 100x100 pixels or less, save that copy of the photo under a different name and upload the reduced photo to the forum.

Good Luck.
Farmer