Possible new favorite whistle-WD Sweet High D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wyodeb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Possible new favorite whistle-WD Sweet High D

Post by wyodeb »

I'm hesitant to post a full review since I'm still a bit of a novice player. I shot the rest of my whistle budget (sold my Native American Flutes) on a WD Sweet High D – Walt will be selling them under the name BLACK PEARL. I love my Clarke, just wish it was tunable. This has some of that same complex, woody sound. It can be leaned into without getting too shrill. I just found all the 3rd octave notes (something I've never been able to do on my other whistles). :shock: I doubt I'll be playing them much, but I'm glad to know they are there. The octave jumps are smooth and easy for me to find. It takes a fair amount of breath support. I'm able to get better control of dynamics than I've been able to achieve on the Burke.

This whistle is very comfortable to play. The holes are more ovoid than my straight-bore whistles. Half-holing gives me very reliable notes. It is lightweight, but more substantial and less plastic-y feeling than a Susato. The mouthpiece is chunkier than the Burke. Once I got used to it, which didn't take long, it is also quite comfortable. Cuts and strikes are nice and quick and crisp. I've yet to really master rolls and crans.

Once again, Walt has been a delight to deal with. I'm very pleased. Now if I can just get him to make a G whistle...

Deb
R Small
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Possible new favorite whistle-WD Sweet High D

Post by R Small »

I recently added a W.D. Sweet high D to my stable. Very good all around whistle. Does everything pretty well. Loud enough for sessions but pleasant to play to play alone in my apartment. Fairly strong and stable 1st octave with easy response in the 2nd and up into the 3rd octaves. Intonation is good. Tone is a little reedy but I like it pretty well. Nice contrast to my Bracker which is very flute-like. The windway is pretty wide so it can take alot of air if you're not careful but this seems to make practically immune to clogging. And being plastic the intonation is not too affected by cold temperatures. So it's usually my 1st choice when the weather is cold. But if temp. is not a factor #1 is still my Bracker. I love that flute-like tone and rock solid 1st octave.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

I think it is the "reediness" I like about this whistle. I have a silver Yamaha flute. I like how this whistle sounds more like a wooden whistle. I'm glad there are choices, because we each have a tone we prefer. :)

Deb
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

hi Deb,

are you talking about a blackwood whistle? or some improvement to the one in machined black plastic?

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

It is the new machined one. I am afraid to get wooden whistles. It's so dry here, I have enough trouble keeping the guitars properly humidified. I am glad to get the sound of a wooden whistle without the worries.

Deb
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

that's great; i have one of the machined ones, and it's a pretty nice whistle. improved, i'm sure it's a great one. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
riverman

Post by riverman »

It's nice to find your "new favorite whistle." It gives you a warm feeling inside, and you tend to sit around admiring it between tunes!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

riverman wrote:It's nice to find your "new favorite whistle." It gives you a warm feeling inside, and you tend to sit around admiring it between tunes!
That's exactly how I felt when I found "my guitar." Eight years later, it still makes me smile every time I open the case. I tried lots of guitars before I found this one. I think this whistle might be a lot like that. Instruments are such a subjective thing. When we find the one that speaks to us (no pun intended), it is a marvelous thing.

Deb
Folk312

Post by Folk312 »

you tend to sit around admiring it between tunes
So I'm not the only one who does that!

When I received my WD Polymer High D I quickly realized two things.
1. Unfortunately is too loud to play in my small apartment living room.
2. I would never sell it.

Even though for my taste it is on the loud side to you play comfortably by yourself, I love the feel, the sound and the quality of workmanship. If I were to travel around the world and were only be allowed to take one whistle with me, this would be it. It just feels as it can take any abuse you could throw at it and still play flawlessly.

Fortunately for me I'm moving from Amsterdam to Colombia in two weeks. So I'm looking forward to lots of outdoor play.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Another fine advantage of the whistle. Playing outdoors---not a problem! Stick it in your back pocket and GO!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

This whistle has exactly the sound I was hoping for. It probably helps that I like it so much I play it as often as possible (funny, the more I practice, the better it sounds...). The only other whistle I ever pick up is the Clarke, which is much quieter when everyone is home. I love the low D, but I'm leaving it to work on when I have more skill on the high D. Going back and forth doesn't work well for me.

Deb
wyodeb

New favorite whistle-WD Sweet High D

Post by wyodeb »

It's official. I love this whistle! The Burke is in the For Sale section.

Deb
R Small

Post by R Small »

Wyodeb--what kind of Burke are you selling? I can't find the for sale section. I'd be interested in a Burke session bore in brass.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

It is the Brass Session Bore. Very nice, but not my cup of tea.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80606

Deb
Whistle Free or Die

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

The WD Sweet high D must be a hot item because I am seeing that a few of the whistle shops on- line have them on backorder.
Walt must have a real winner there!!!

Susan
Susan