UP reeds from Ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

UP reeds from Ebay

Post by uilleannfinlander »

magroibin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: UP reeds from Ebay

Post by magroibin »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a total farce. And all of those giving positive feedback are fake accounts.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

The listing has been removed.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Oh no it hasn't :o

UILLEANN SPANISH CANE CHANTER REED Quality1trader LTD
http://cgi.ebay.com/UILLEANN-SPANISH-CA ... 35af10fe21

3 Available @ £3.99 so watch out AM and AB you have competition and what are the chances of you undercutting this joker :)

John
uilleannfinlander

thread from bobdunsire forum
about same issue:
http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/sho ... p?t=136406
uilleannfinlander

From Seth Hamon:
"I am very impressed with the reed, which came in the mail today. The only critique I have is that they send it in a wooden tube, which is fantastic and has a carving of a bird with some neat effects, and the reed is able to bounce around in the tube and the corner tip of the reed had a little bent spot but it was someting I could fix with one pass on a piece of 320 sandpaper. I emailed them and told them to wrap them in a piece of paper towel before they put them in the tube. Another thing I had to do was adjust the bridle, which was a bit loose, and the reed was too open, but once I set it right the reed played unlike I expected for such a cheap $$ reed. The reed looks exactly as it does in the photo. The sanding of the V- is quite even and looks to have been done by an artisan who knows what he/she is doing.

Ok, for the sound. Its a strong punchy reed, with a good sound.

I put the reed in my chanter, which is a Tim Britton, style bore. It played D and Hard D quite easily. The chanter was in tune through both octaves and reached 3rd d quite easily as well. Also, their was no problem with the back D breaking with increased pressure, which is one of the most common complaints from Uilleann pipers with all makes of pipes and reeds. It held the back d quite well with all variations of pressure increases and decrases, think I just said that. If these reeds are consistent, I believe they may be on to something. I will buy more. Cheers, Seth

Post by Doogie »

Hey Finlander, long time no speak. Actually long time since I've posted here. I still wear the necklace you made me. Cheers.

Their were people talking about these reeds on the Dunsire forum, but nobody had actually tried one, so I said, " what the hell", they are pretty cheap so I'll buy one and see if they are worth a crap. I thought all the same things the skeptics are saying. The only reason I'm giving these guys/gals, whom I do not know, good feedback is because the reed I recieved from them was a very good reed for such a cheap price. Funny thing is, their were people trashing them even though they had not yet tried them. I too was skeptical, trust me, in the fact that this company sells a lot of instrument imports. The feedback is not faked, because I am one of those on the list of feedback.

All I can say is regardless of where the reed came from and who at the company made it, it performs very well. I hope I didn't just get lucky and get the one out of the batch that was good,this is possible, but I don't think so. Hell I could be wrong. To find out for sure I have ordered a few more so I can judge their consistency. Anyways all their feedback is positive, so good for them. Also, the reed looks a lot like the reeds I have made by Joseph Smith, and side by side they perform exactly the same. I can only speak for this one reed I got from them today and I'm not endorcing this ebay seller, I'm just relaying my experience since many have expressed interest in these reeds. Cheers, Seth

Here is a closeup of the reed I received today.

Last edited by Doogie on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Seth Hamon
http://Hamonbagpipes.com
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

:boggle: Well...I'll be tied up and scraped!!! :boggle:
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

As our friends from Nzedland and Ozland might say:

Whale oil beef hooked!

It looks to me like they've kidnapped some poor sodded reedmaker and have him chained to a workbench down in the basement!

Hmmm, wonder it that'd work in my bass regulator.......

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

They do make them for regulators too and are listed separately.
uilleannfinlander

really fast delivery 2days ...well made and in tune ..but quite stiff. just 16 euros reed and well made wooden tube. :wink:
razzmaster

Post by razzmaster »

It's worth it just for the wooden tube! I want one!
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Here's the reed I received. Unplayable in its current state: sides are not aligned and the tight binding (a good thing) doesn't allow for any twisting without unbinding. I'll contact the manufacturer and see what they suggest.

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Well, it appears they offer a return with them paying the postage. You may wish to avail yourself of this option. But, as a reedmaker, you also may wish to take the opportunity to keep the reed and while rebinding it determine if this is a formed reed or if it has carved tone chambers.
It appears that it is bound on a hobby tube staple. Is there any appreciable taper to the staple? I must say that examining the photos you posted, the lips appear to be well thinned and equal. . .do you feel this is the case? I note the elevation of the lips is rather high, or at least appears so. This of course could be addressed if the head is re-tied.
For my own purposes, I don't think a hobby tube staple would suit my own chanter, particularly with regard to octave tuning, and with an unknown taper to the staple. But, for the price, I am surprised at what appears to be the even finish.
Keep us posted as to what your final disposition is, especially if you elect to keep the reed and do unbinding and post mortem. . . evenness of scrape, interior gouge, thinness of lips etc.?

All the best,
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

I ordered 5 more the other day at $10 each, if you order more than one at a time its cheaper, so I'll let you guys/gals know how consistent they really are. The one Steve got should be a super easy fix, but not really acceptable in its current form direct from the manufacturer. If too many get a reed like Steve recieved, then I would suspect that their business in reedmaking may not last too long. Although, so far, their feedback tells a different story. Seth
Cheers, Seth Hamon
http://Hamonbagpipes.com