Multiple Low Whistle bag?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Multiple Low Whistle bag?

Post by pancelticpiper »

I did a search and looked back over threads going back to around 2001 I think, and I found these suggestions for Low Whistle bags, followed by what I found:

Altieribags.com (no whistle bags)
Joan Hackie (nothing quite suitable, so I sent her an email about custom work)
Nyghtshayde (Googling found nothing whistle-related)
NancyF (I don't know who this is or how to contact her)
North Art Heritage Music (nothing really suitable)
Lollysmith.com (nothing suitable)
Flutecase.com (a bag to hold six 33-inch-long flutes for $33)
Tuffbaggs.com AKA RachelTreasures (nothing quite suitable)
Jean Cavallaro AKA Colorado Case Co (closest thing is a SATB recorder roll, $125)
Sassafrassgrove.com (not currently in production, per email)
Annie (don't know who this is or how to contact)
Tonydixonmusic.co.uk (nothing suitable)

None of these places had what I'm after, a bag that can hold Low D, Eb, E, in each key up to high D and Eb, 12 slots in all preferably.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Denny

Re: Multiple Low Whistle bag?

Post by Denny »

pancelticpiper wrote:I did a search and looked back over threads going back to around 2001 I think, and I found these suggestions for Low Whistle bags, followed by what I found:

NancyF (I don't know who this is or how to contact her)
there is a C&Fer named NancyF but I don't see where she made bags, just that she had to unroll one at an airport once
pancelticpiper wrote:Sassafrassgrove.com (not currently in production, per email)
Annie (don't know who this is or how to contact)
there is a C&Fer named anniemcu she is Sarah @ Sassafrassgrove. I think her name is Sarah Ann McUmber-House. She did very nice work, custom work, but she took a real job...

just FYI, I don't expect it to help much.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Big Whistle over here in the UK have The Big Whistle Bag Here 2nd item down.

Is this more what you are after? Not cheap though.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

It might be worth your while talking to one or more of the makers you list for a custom bag. Kate Lozier of Tuffbaggs made my whistle bags. I probably have close to a dozen of her bags to meet various needs. This was before Annie started offering Sassafrass Grove bags (which are the nicest bags I have seen). My first several Tuffbaggs were off-the-shelf models but eventually I got to a place where I wanted something more like what you are describing. She made a bag for me which holds my Burkes from high E down to low E. I carry the lower whistles (Eb, three low D's and low C) in a separate Tuffbagg. I have no idea whether custom bags are still on offer but it may be worth a shot.

Or you could look to other custom gig-bag makers. I don't have a particular suggestion at the moment but I know from playing a few out of the norm instruments that there are bag makers out there which are ready to do your bidding for a price. You send them your measurements and they'll quote a price. Blue Heron cases come to mind. And I think Reunion Blues once did this. Glenn Cronkhite started Reunion Blues and he offers custom cases now.

Oh, my wife and I have made whistle rolls as well. It's not radically difficult if you know someone that is handy with a sewing machine. We used a layer of polar fleece for the inside and Supplex nylon for the exterior with Velcro to keep things closed. And you can add straps and hardware as you like.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

These people http://stores.ebay.ca/North-Art-Heritage-Music "custom sew woodwind bags - if you need a different size let us know and we will email you with a quote" ... just somebody I've seen on eBay ... the bags look nice, if that's what you want.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Porridge Face

Post by Porridge Face »

I really like these guys: http://coloradocase.com/ They'll make anything custom, and it's almost a "road-trip" for you!

Good luck, hope you find something.
Porridge Face

Michael Burke D Brass Session
Tony Dixon Low F
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I had just given up and decided to make one myself.
I wonder, from folks who have used them, what does
one desire in such a bag? I assume bare minimum, I'm
going to have to use some quilting material for padding
between layers of something soft that won't scratch
up the metal. But is there anything else that matters
for a good, simple roll?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

fearfaoin wrote:But is there anything else that matters for a good, simple roll?
It depends on what your requirements are for protection and such, I think. The simplest rolls I have seen are made from a soft, thick terry-cloth towel folded roughly in thirds and using a couple ribbons to tie it closed. Two thirds are foled over on themselves to be used for making the front and back of the pockets and the other third (well less than a third) becomes a flap to hold the whistles in their pockets. The ribbons are sewn to the edges and are long enough to go around the rolled bag and be tied to hold everything together. Beyond that you can do what ever you can imagine - handles, straps, belt loops, hanging loops, CPVC tubes (for crush protection), extra pockets, etc.. Take a look at the pictures on Annie McU's Sassafrass Grove site for inspiration.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
cboody

Post by cboody »

Coon Hollow Canvas http://www.coonhollowcanvas.com/ will work with you to design the bag you want the way you want it. My bag opens like a fairly narrow book, has 5 "slots" in one side and 4 in the other (I sometimes carry a Re***der or two). There's a nice piece of covered material between the sides and the whole thing is very substantial. I think I may have paid around $100, and perhaps less. Helen is very good to work with and will take back anything you don't like. Quality work at low prices. I highly recommend her work. (And I don't have any connection except that my cousin has an archetecture business in the area... :) .)
Dog Brain

Post by Dog Brain »

I know that this is probably not what you're looking for, and I'm not even sure if the maker is going to do anymore like this anyway
but I just really wanted to show off my brand new custom High/Low whistle roll pack, and this thread looked like a pretty good place to do that.

ImageImage
ImageImage
If you'd like to see more of the pictures I took here are a couple of links where you can see them all, or I may post more on Chiff if any one seems interested.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 9facb2fc6b
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62 ... le%20Roll/
I wasn't going to mention the makers name because I thought she was taking a brake from doing custom work, but I just got her permission.
Joan Hackie from Hackie Pack.com

She just ask me to say that if you wanted to contact her regarding cases it's best to do so by email hackiepacks@highspeedcrow.ca and also that she has quite a waiting list at the moment.
I'm not going to write a full review of it here cause this thread really isn't the place for it and besides I just don't feel like it right now anyhow although I may do one later and post it over by her other review.
However if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.
whistlejohn

Post by whistlejohn »

Go to a music store that has a great selection of supplies for drummers and buy a drum stick bag. Drummers have lots of sticks and therefore lots of compartments to put whistles in. I got one and it's the best.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Colin Goldie sells a very robust, zippable case in heavy-duty something or other. I have one and I think it would do everything you are asking.

http://www.colingoldie.de/accessories.html
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks for the replies!

Yes that Joan Hackie case looks perfect. Many thanks for posting those great photos. (I mentioned her on the list in my Original Post; I have emailed her; she says she is taking a hiatus but will let me know when she's making again.)

That Colin Goldie case looks great too.

What I've decided to do, however, is have a local woman do a custom case for me.

I went down to a fabric store and bought some quilted fabric: two layers of cotton with batting in between, and quilted.

It's soft, protective, and still relatively thin.

I like the two-tier design see above with the Hackie case (and on the Goldie case).

It will have loops so that it can be suspended from a music stand, an idea I got from drumstick bags.

Thanks! Richard
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yesterday I received the multiple whistle roll made for me by a local woman.

Here it is!

I had drawn out a pattern on newspaper and she made it exactly how I wanted it. (It's a tad long because I plan on getting a Low C one day.)

In the case are whistles in every chromatic key from Low D to High Eb.

My "key coverage" is still a work in progress: I would like to trade that Bernard Overton low E natural for a Burke of the same pitch.

And the keys of Ab and Gb are covered currently by Susatos. Ideally I would like Burkes for those keys.

And one day I'd like a Burke Low C.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yesterday I received the multiple whistle roll made for me by a local woman.
Nice bag. What did that wind up costing you?
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com