Augusta Irish/Celtic Week 2012

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
Harp&Shamrock
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Augusta Irish/Celtic Week 2012

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

Hello!

Just writing to let people know that the 2012 Augusta Irish/Celtic Week will take place July 22-27th this year and that there is a new Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/AugustaIrish

Click on over and check us out this year's staff!
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Augusta Irish/Celtic Week 2012

Post by plunk111 »

Looks like Joanie won't be there this year - sad... I'm planning on going again this year (last year was my first visit), but it's going to be a lot more sedate without Joanie and John Whelan.

Also, they have the registration forms up but the PRICE isn't posted! Sent an email but got no response (yet).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Harp&Shamrock

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

plunk111 wrote:but it's going to be a lot more sedate without Joanie and John Whelan.
In fairness, their energy is unmatchable. However, I will say that this year's staff is pretty incredible. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm the artistic director!)
plunk111 wrote:Also, they have the registration forms up but the PRICE isn't posted! Sent an email but got no response
The price, along with information regarding housing and meals, is now up on the site! Have a look: http://augustaheritagecenter.org/irishceltic/
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

That does look like a good lineup!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Harp&Shamrock

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

Cathy Wilde wrote:That does look like a good lineup!
Ah, go on, Mrs. Wilde.
Harp&Shamrock

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

Just want to give this one a little bump! Augusta Irish/Celtic Week 2012 will be taking place July 22-27th! Cillian Vallely will be teaching pipes, Ivan Goff and Brian Holleran are going to be teaching flute, and Joey Abarta (recently with Green Fields of America on the uilleanns) will be teaching whistle. Check out the full staff here: http://augustaheritagecenter.org/irishceltic/
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I'm signed up for "flutin' with Ivan" again!
Harp&Shamrock

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

There is an article about the 30th Anniversary of the Augusta Irish Week in this week's Irish Echo! Please have a look:
http://irishecho.com/?p=71241
Penycat

Post by Penycat »

What a great opportunity! I am just one state over and have never heard about it until today. I wish I could go but I have an intense summer schedule finishing up my master's, but definitely next year.
Do they use on campus housing or local hotels?
"If one plays good music, people don't listen and if one plays bad music, people don't talk." - Oscar Wilde
Harp&Shamrock

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

Penycat wrote:What a great opportunity! I am just one state over and have never heard about it until today. I wish I could go but I have an intense summer schedule finishing up my master's, but definitely next year.
Do they use on campus housing or local hotels?
No, no, come – it's only a week! I mean, I understand the wanting to finish up part, but it's Augusta Irish Week's thirtieth anniversary and YOU (yes you) deserve a well-earned break from your master's and should come this year! And next!

And there is both on and off campus housing! You can check them out here: http://augustaheritagecenter.org/lodging/

Which state are you from, btw?
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

I stay at the Pegasus Farm Campground... If you're into it, camping is a MUCH cheaper option. Costs me less than $70 for the whole event (but I stay in a tent).

Pat
Penycat

Post by Penycat »

I am in Alabama. I will see what I can work out. Maybe by then I can call myself a whistle player with the basics! I am an experienced Boem flute player, I just picked up the whistle about a month ago and am learning Irish trad music and loving every minute of it!
I am not so sure I could handle a tent..I am a relocated Alaskan. I am still getting used to the summer. Air conditioning is such a lovely invention!

I guess I was thinking Augusta Georgia....but still West Virgina is not a bad trip either...could be a tad cooler too!
"If one plays good music, people don't listen and if one plays bad music, people don't talk." - Oscar Wilde
Harp&Shamrock

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

Penycat wrote:I am in Alabama. I will see what I can work out.
Yeah! That's the spirit!
Harp&Shamrock

Post by Harp&Shamrock »

Quick announcement: regretfully, Josh Dukes has had to withdraw from this summer's Augusta staff. However, button accordionist Dan Gurney will be taking his place as staff musician.

That is all!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

FYI, uilleann is an adjective, not a noun. You wouldn't call them the scottish smalls... (Well, one might.)

Uilleann pipes, never uilleanns.