Boston Sessions

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
mgpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Boston Sessions

Post by mgpiper »

I will be in Boston June 1-5. I know there are many sessions in that city, so I was hoping to find some close to the Hynes Convention Center/Sheraton Boston where I will be staying. Any recommended sessions (even if they are not close to where I will be)? Thanks!
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Boston Sessions

Post by crookedtune »

I'd like to bump this one. I may be staying with an ailing friend in Arlington, MA, for an extended period in the near future. Session-playing would be a welcome diversion.

Thanks
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'd think The Burren in Somerville (Davis Square) would be your closest with a well-known top session.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Thanks. I'll give 'em a call. It's not too clear from their website whether they're hosting regular open sessions.

http://www.burren.com/index.html
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hmmm, you're right. Weird, I don't see sessions on the calendar. It looks like the trad music may have moved to their sister pub, The Skellig, in Waltham.

I have a friend from Cambridge who was a regular at The Burren, but that was a few years ago. It's all second-hand info to me, so I should probably shut up. :-)

Of course, when I lived in Cambridge and Boston I wasn't playing Irish music. O cruel irony.

crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Me neither. I lived there for five years during my country blues guitar phase, ('71-'76). I'll check out the Skellig. Thanks for the tip!
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hey, I was there '71-'75. We coulda had a band! But I was playing mostly early music on recorder then, so maybe not. :lol:

Actually, it started for me back then. Steeleye Span, Fairport, Alan Stivell, all played there. The Battering Ram at the Plough and Stars in Central Square. Various performers at Passim. A friend of mine had an import shop The Celtic Realm just off Harvard Square. 'Tis a slippery slope, I tell you ...

crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Ha! I frequented those places. We probably rubbed shoulders. I was at BU, and living in Somerville. Spent lots of time at Passim, Orson Wells Cinema, all those places. But alas, youth is wasted on the young.

Anyway, those leads will help me suss out a session. Thanks again.
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

the green briar in brighton on monday nights has an early session and a later one. the early is a slow session, my guess starts around 7pm, with plenty in attendance; and the later session starts around 9pm hosted by larry reynolds and tara lynch these days. these are long standing open and social sessions, welcoming to visitors. you can go there and find out where else to go if you want more action around town during the week. larry also hosts a session tues night at the skellig in waltham.
i don't know what's happening during the week (if anything) at the burren in somerville. but from what i understand what is still going at the burren is the sunday afternoon session with the gannon family and friends.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Great! Thanks, Rama!
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Anyone know The Druid's sessions in Cambridge? I'll be in Cambridge early in the week of August 16th (M,T,W) - they seem to hold a session on Tuesday nights and that might work out great (Friday nights, too, but I'll be gone by then...).
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

[Thread revival - Mod]

Can't help you, Gordon, but I'm back here now. And it's looking like this could be an extended stay for me. I'm going to start searching out sessions. I'll post if I come up with anything. Please do the same, or PM me if you want to share a few tunes. I'm in Arlington.

Edited:
Umm, it's a year later. Sorry, Gordon. Old folks do things like that.
That said....I'm here in Arlington, looking for sessions. If an Irish town like Boston doesn't have 'em, then I'm saddened. All assists are welcome.
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

FWIW, I'm still here. Probably will be for some weeks or months.

The Burren, in Davis Square, Somerville, has sessions on Sunday afternoons. I'm hoping to make it there this weekend.
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Any updates, guys? I'm visiting for a weekend in July. I notice that Hennessy's and Emmet's have sessions mentioned in places but I can't confirm either (Emmet's doesn't start until May, I guess, and they don't show what day of the week it is). Since they're downtown, I'm worried they are more about performing than joining in, but it's hard to tell. Just thought I'd take a shot in the dark here.