Sarah McQuaid, Concert, DADGAD Workshop, session IAANJ 2/26

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
irisnevins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sarah McQuaid, Concert, DADGAD Workshop, session IAANJ 2/26

Post by irisnevins »

Our next concert will be Friday, 2/26/10, 8:00PM (doors open 7:30) with the fabulous singer/guitarist, Sarah McQuaid. Ticket price is $20 or 15 for IAANJ members. Includes free refreshments (great spread!) and there is plenty of parking. If you need train info, contact irisnevins@verizon.net

Sarah will also offer a workshop from 6:00-7:30 in DADGAD guitar. The cost will be $25 per person for the class, payable to Sarah, cash, exact change appreciated. All of you Celtic guitar players who can come to IAANJ will greatly benefit from Sarah's very clear teaching. If you would like the class outline sent to you, email: irisnevins@verizon.net

Sarah's Info:
Born in Madrid, Spain, raised in Chicago and holding dual Irish and American citizenship, singer/guitarist and songwriter Sarah McQuaid lived in Ireland from 1994 to 2007.

In 1994, Sarah moved to Ireland, where she became a weekly folk music columnist for the Evening Herald and a contributor to Hot Press magazine. She is also the author of a guitar tutor, The Irish DADGAD Guitar Book, described by The Irish Times as "a godsend to aspiring traditional guitarists," and has presented workshops on the DADGAD tuning at festivals and venues across the UK and Ireland.

Now, in conjunction with her first solo American tour, she's releasing her critically acclaimed albums When Two Lovers Meet and I Won't Go Home 'Til Morning as a double CD for the North American market.

Lauded by The Rough Guide To Irish Music as "a sensuous spine tingler" and "an astonishing debut by a unique talent," Sarah's debut album was steeped in the traditional Irish music that had first drawn her across the Atlantic as an eager teenager. Sarah is the author of The Irish DADGAD Guitar Book (first published in 1995 and still the standard text on the alternative tuning favored by many of the best-known guitarists in the world of Irish, Scottish and English folk), and several of her DADGAD-tuned guitar arrangements of Irish set dances, hornpipes and reels feature on the album, as do songs in both Irish and English - plus one notable original, 'Charlie's Gone Home'.

While Sarah sings all sorts of songs, the focus will be on Irish ballads and songs picked especially for IAANJ, plus a whole lot of brilliant Irish and Celtic guitar playing! This will be a very different type of concert than we have had before, and we hope you come out for all the fun. She has an extremely busy schedule for her upcoming US tour, but I begged her so come to IAANJ... so please come out to see her! She is truly an amazing singer and guitarist. Her show will be very different with a lot of audience participation....read on:

Sarah would like to pick a few of you GREAT melody players from the audience that night so she can show us her SUPER tune accompaniment style here and there throughout the show (we already have a few including L.E. McCullough on whistle!) .... so if you'd like to be a bit more than part of the audience than usual, drop me a line and Sarah can pick a few of you. A drum would be nice here and there too. And...I know she'd love to have a "last blast" of stage tunes at the end with a bunch of you, a great lead in to our usual "post-concert session".

Also, this from her site, looks like fun, I hope those of you who sing will participate:

Calling all singers!
Sarah has recently written a six-part canon and is calling on fellow vocalists attending her upcoming concerts to join her onstage for the song. Click here to download the sheet music (small file, quick download) if you fancy having a go, and here to listen to or download an MP3 of the melody.

Check Sarah out at: http://sarahmcquaid.com/ her resume and credits are far too long to cover here!

RESERVATIONS HELP US FIGURE HOW MANY WILL BE THERE SO IS HELPFUL FOR FIGURING SEATING AND FOOD. NO OBLIGATION IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT. WE DO HOWEVER, NEED RESERVATIONS FOR THE WORKSHOP BY 2/25/10. PLEASE INCLUDE A PHONE NUMBER AS WELL IF YOU SIGN UP.

IAANJ is located at 352 Richard Mine Rd. Rockaway Tnsp. NJ. Directions are at www.iaanj.com If you want more info or to make reservations for the concert, please email irisnevins@verizon.net not the email address or phone at IAANJ.