Cavan to Host All Ireland Fleadh Cheoil 2010

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
Martin Donohoe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Donohoe »

Cavan 15TH Aug -22nd 2010

Directing all All Ireland Fleadh enquiries re accommodation to Joanne Hayes at joannehayes@ccceb.ie

And all to be placed on a database

Joanne Hayes

Cavan County Tourism Officer

Cavan County Council

Cavan Innovation & Technology Centre

Dublin Road

Cavan

www.cavantourism.com

Press release

September 12, 2009

Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann has awarded Cavan Town the prestigious honour of hosting Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann 2010. Cavan is celebrating the announcement following a meeting at Comhaltas headquarters in Monkstown, Dublin on September 12, at which the Ardchomhairle voted to stage Ireland’s premier traditional culture event in the Lake County.

The Director General of Comhaltas, Senator Labhrás Ó Murchú, said that Tullamore, who has hosted the event for the past three years, has set the bar very high for future venues. “Their innovation, dedication, professionalism, hospitality and attention to detail were inspiring. They have placed our cultural traditions on a pedestal and have raised the morale of the hundreds of thousands of people who attended the Fleadhanna for the last three years”.

Senator Ó Murchú said that a very significant thing about the Fleadh was the effective partnership which exists between Comhaltas, Local Authorities and other public agencies, Gardaí, sponsors, local media, the business community, venue proprietors and the general public. He is positive that Cavan, which has a long tradition and heritage of Irish music and culture, will seamlessly take up the gauntlet and continue on this trend very admirably.

Although Cavan has not hosted an All Ireland Fleadh in recent times, it was one of the first venues to stage the big event. In 1954, Cavan hosted the fourth Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann during the formative years of the Comhaltas movement.

The Fleadh which is now an 8 day event will officially open on Sunday August 15 until Sunday August 22 incorporating the Scoil Éigse (the Comhaltas Summer school) running for the full week before the event and Seachtain na hÉigse. The Fleadh will include competitions, events and concerts such as the awarding of the Fleadh Ard Olamh, the overseas concert and the excitement of the All Ireland Senior Ceili Band competition.

Speaking after the announcement, the County Arts Officer, Catriona O’Reilly said the Fleadh will greatly enrich the cultural life of the entire region. County Manager Jack Keyes added that the event will be a unique opportunity for Cavan to showcase its talents as well as bringing a welcome boost to the local economy during these difficult times. According to one of the Fleadh organisers, renowned Cavan musician Martin Donohoe, the All-Ireland Fleadh is Ireland’s largest festival of music, song and dance and 2010 in Cavan promises to attract over 200,000 visitors and 11,000 musicians from all over the world. The fleadh competitions alone attracting over 4,000 competitors annually from all over Ireland, Britain, Europe, USA and as far away as the Tokyo branch.

The All Ireland Fleadh which plays host to hundreds of sessions will confirm Cavan’s place at the heart of Ireland’s living tradition.
fleadhcheoil
antispam: No

Re: Cavan to Host All Ireland Fleadh Cheoil 2010

Post by fleadhcheoil »

Great to see the Fleadh in Cavan, not much time left to get things moving, on a trip to Cavan this year I searched in the phone book for CCE branches, could not find any, I found it hard to find phone numbers of musicians in Cavan, so I missed out on any sessions , I did hear of a session in the Bent Elbow, it started too late , I was not interested , not exiting enough, I noticed most of the pubs were closed/shut down so where are all the musicians going to play, will the surrounding towns/villages be used, where are people going to park the car, it is hard now , so what will it be like with another 4/5000 cars looking for a spot, my advice to Cavan Town is to have 3 or 4 meetings every week , this way things will be sorted , and Cavan will have a Fleadh that will go down as the best ever, you have to reach for the stars, I will be there because I come from Cavan. I did manage to get to some sessions in Clare and Dublin, also some good ones in London, in London a Catholic Priest was talking about the Cavan All Ireland Fleadh he spoke about the church gate collections , questioned why people attending mass have to contribute financially to the Fleadh,
The business people in Cavan Town are going to clean up, and judging by the prices they were charging while I was there , they will make hay while the sun shines, so should they not be the ones contributing to the financial success of the Fleadh,
I expect the cost of a bed will double for the fleadh, along with everything else,
I will keep reading the Celt on the Net to see how things are going, all the Cavan Musicians should be involved not just a chosen few, thats what it looks like at the moment a handfull of musicians pulling all the strings,
I make these comments to try to help out.... its no use waiting till the Fleadh is over, now is the time to give all musicians a go, or rename Cavan Town --- Bally donohue......
Martin Donohoe

Post by Martin Donohoe »

LOL LOL

WELCOME ,YOU SEEM TO HAVE JUST JOINED ?? STRANGE THAT

5 sessions alone this week (November )in CAVAN TOWN ALONE ,where did you look for music ,and bent elbow session starts to late ?? 10.30pm ??? thats a usual time ..

(all the Cavan Musicians should be involved not just a chosen few, thats what it looks like at the moment a handfull of musicians pulling all the strings)

why dont all the musicians join the comhaltas branch and then they are part of it ,SIMPLE AS THAT

Fleadh has jobs for all ,but we dont read minds ,so tell those who feel left out to ring me and we will look after them ,hope you get to the fleadh yourself,

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Martin Donohoe Events and Entertainment Chair
All Ireland Fleadh Cavan 2010

Golf Links Rd Cavan Town Co Cavan Ireland
Tel +353 (0)86 2342270| Email: cavanmusiclive@gmail.com
Swellan Upper Golf Links Rd, Cavan, Co Cavan, Ireland | http://www.fleadh2010.com
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Let Cavan Surprise You

Martin Donohoe presents, "The Wind that Blows" Show every Saturday Night on Shannonside Northern Sound Radio
A 2hour hour weekly Irish traditional/folk radio show
8.00pm to 10pm The show is a gathering place for all things "folk"- artist info, resources like the folk festival listings, and most especially good music and song and lots of it. .The radio show is on the web for family and friends overseas - http://www.shannonside.ie/
The show is part of the Nyah Co Cavan arts group work in keeping music live and giving access for all to the culture. If you have a CD you wish to have played or if you want to promote your tour/Gigs, share news etc.

Nyah Co Cavan Arts Festival March 10th -18th
info website

http://www.cavanmusic.com
www.myspace.com/nyahcavan
fleadhcheoil

Post by fleadhcheoil »

I have not just joined, anyway , "what differance does it make,?" you dont own the site, the Fleadh was great, thanks to the musicians from around the world, and all those hard working volunteers .. most who were not members of CCE !!! 99% of those people attending the Fleadh were not members of CCE. you dont have to be a member of CCE to go to the Fleadh or play Irish Traditional Music, CCE do a good job promoting our culture, I have been to more than a dozen All Ireland Fleadhs seeking out the best sessions with the best musicians ,
How many Senior All Irelands were won by Cavan Musicians in 2010, Tony Smith and Seamus Fay are up there with the best , Are they the only Senior All Ireland Champions to come from cavan over the last 40years, shows the failure of Cavan CCE. Sessions starting at 10.30pm are not worth attending when one regular plays for 4/5 hours at a time ,
Do you know what two of my friends paid for a bed in Cavan, you dont, it would have been cheaper to stay at a five star hotel in Dublin, they were ripped off. like thousands of other travellers from the UK, I always rent a house and share it with other musicians do this months before the Fleadh ensure we dont get ripped off, Where is the Fleadh next year, Ballydonohue.
Martin Donohoe

Post by Martin Donohoe »

LOL
fleadhcheoil

Post by fleadhcheoil »

Martin Donohoe wrote:LOL
Typical answer, one I would expect ''' maybe next years fleadhcheoil organizers will thank and name those who actually do the real work. not the hangers on, who like their names in lights,