Portland, OR Aug 2-12?

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Portland, OR Aug 2-12?

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I'm going to be in Portland from Aug 2-12 for the Noel Hill concertina school.

Last time I was in Portland two years ago I visited some great sessions, wondering how the scene is there these days.

Cheers,

Michael
Harpgal

Post by Harpgal »

If you're looking for a session try Alberta St Pub on Friday night after 9 PM. I think Kells and Biddy McGrawshas a Sunday evening session.

Good luck and have fun.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Alberta St is a good sesh, and Kells does have a Sunday session at 6. Alberta st is IMO the best one musically and Kells is a nice atmosphere, but I don't think I will be going again anytime soon last week they kicked me out of the pub for being under 21, it was some bull shizz I was just there to play some tunes. I am pretty sure Biddy's is still going on at 7 on sundays.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

What about out near Bend, Oregon -- is there any music there? I'll be in Sunriver, near Bend, all next week...I wasn't planning to bring my flute but will have a whistle or two with me.
dactyl

Re: Portland, OR Aug 2-12?

Post by dactyl »

I too am visiting Portland (August 2009) and looking for sessions. I'm glad to have stumbled on this post!

Just one question for y'all: Are the Alberta Street and Kells sessions open (say, to an out-of-state hammered dulcimer player with intermediate skill and repertoire) or are they kinda invitation-only?
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Kells is open and should be fine for you... It's a bit too big for my taste, generally.

Alberta St. is an open session and generally very welcoming, if a bit unpredictable. You might get a crew of hot-sh•t players one week that want to play obscure Ed Reavy tunes all night (the owner himself is a fine button box player), and two piano accordions and three guitars the next week plodding through bog standards. If it's the former, you might get a leery look or two; if it's the latter, you might be a bit bored. Usually, it's somewhere between the two extremes, though.
dactyl

Post by dactyl »

Thanks, Mr. Pitchfork! That was precisely the kind of info I was looking for.
malanstevenson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Anybody know the latest state of things regarding Portland, OR sessions - say this coming weekend?

Thanking you,
Mark
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."