It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Portland, OR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:20 pm 

As it seems to be lacking on this forum, here is a list of sessions known to occur in Portland, OR. Additions or corrections to this list are most welcome.

Sundays @ Biddy McGraw's. Can't remember when it starts...Six? Seven-ish? Anyone else know?

Fridays @ Alberta St. Public House: 9-ish--Laaaaaate. This isn't (as some have erroneously reported in the past) a "by invitation only" session--anyone is more than welcome to stop in and politely listen and play a few tunes. That being said, it does seem to be heading more in the "experienced players only" direction and I think the experienced players would like to keep it that way ;p.

Tuesdays @ The Leaky Roof Bistro: 8-10 (or sometimes later). Gourmet cuisine, excellent selection of single malts + balls-to-the-walls tunes. What more could you ask for? Mostly frequented by many of the same people as the Alberta crowd. The Roof is a very small place, though. Any more than six people playing at one time is really pushing it. Not for the claustrophobic or faint of heart.

I had heard that there were some people trying to start a session at Kells on Sundays around six...Haven't heard if there's enough momentum to keep that one going, though.

ALSO

Mondays @ The Moon & Sixpence: 9-12. NOT a session. There was a time (about five years ago) when this was probably the best session in town. Johnny Connolly and Jim Chapman ran it and Kevin Burke would sometimes show up. Then the bodhran players started showing up in droves and the management told Johnny to make it a "gig-only" situation. Still, it's a great bar and if you're looking to hear good music on a Monday night, you can hardly do better than Johnny. Currently, there's a great fiddler named Kellam subbing for Johnny and he's definitely worth hearing as well.

AND...

Shameless advertising.

Saturdays @ Sound Grounds Cafe: 12-2. Again, not really a session, but myself, Bronnie Griffin, Nancy Conescu and Landon Kuhn usually show up on Saturday afternoons to play tunes for the benefit of the local latte-sipping-laptop-toting crowd (although last week, somebody brought a typewriter! Unbelievable!). Go for the better than average lattes and incredible baked goods; stay for the preponderance of Liz Carroll tunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:09 pm 

Since my family now lives in Tigard I will be going out there for my spring break from the 30th to the 7th. I am looking to get a couple tunes in while I am there. Are all of these sessions still going? BTW, on the Kells website it says that they have a Sunday night session from 6-8 it is on this page at the top. Plus it says they have sessions on the 30th and 31rst, I may go to the one on the 31rst, because I will be traveling on the 30th.

If a couple C&Fers want to get together maybe we could arrange something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:10 pm 

Oops, double post.