It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Canada Vancouver? Banff?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:19 pm 

Hi

i'm going to be in Vancouver and maybe Banff this summer: any sessions, whistlers or C&Fers round that neck of the forest?

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:17 pm 

Brian,
There are popular sessions at the Wolf and Hound in Vancouver, on Broadway at Dunbar Street on the West side. Monday night is a beginner session and is big. Wednesday night is geared more toward intermediate/advanced players, and tends to have fewer players.
I'm reporting this to you but I haven't attended these; friends of mine attend regularly.
If you don't mind ferry rides, you can check out our little session at the Snug Cafe on Bowen Island every Friday from 7-10pm. It's a twenty minute ferry from Horseshoe Bay, which itself is a twenty minute drive from Vancouver. The Snug Cafe is a few steps from the ferry slip, and the last ferry leaves the island at 10:05 pm.
Small session, heavy on flute/whistle. Mostly Irish with some Scottish. Mixed tempo. Mixed ability. And the island is lovely and the ferry ride is fun.
We do a bit of a headcount in the days before session to get a sense of the numbers, so ping me closer to your visit if you want to venture out and I could let you know how busy we're likely to be.
Cheers, Mike