Ontario Chiffers- Stand up and be Counted!!!

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
Kelpie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ontario Chiffers- Stand up and be Counted!!!

Post by Kelpie »

how many of you are in Ontario? Any of you fancy meeting up in a mutually agreeable place at a mutually agreeable time and date for tunes, beer and tall tales? You know it makes sense - hell we could even camp and have a barbeque!!
Yes of course it was meant to sound that way!
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'm here. I'm amenable to a gettogether if it's not too far away. MarkB has gotten together a whistle couple of meetings in Windsor.

Steve
Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

windsor is good - got family there
Yes of course it was meant to sound that way!
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

I'm in North Bay. I haven't found too many whistlers up here.
-Kevin
moxy

Post by moxy »

North Bay? Are you for real?

Wow... Do you get to play in any sessions there? :lol:

(it's OK, I'm from North Bay too, I'm allowed to laugh, but don't let anybody else laugh!!)

But really, what do you do for ITM in North Bay? I grew up there and don't remember being exposed to any of that at all - not that I would have been anywhere else either, but it just strikes me as odd to see a C&Fer from North Bay...
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Dang. I was going to be all helpful and suggest the cool August music festivals I know of in Ontario, but it looks like North Bay is 6 hours from the one and 7 from the other. Yow, it really is the middle of nowhere...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

What do I do for ITM in North Bay? I am the ITM in North Bay. :lol:
But seriously, it's a little lonely around here. I've tried to force whistles and flutes on others but they often end up as paper weights.
-Kevin
Tenshanhan

Post by Tenshanhan »

Well, if I can be counted (I don't play yet, but I am extrememly interested and am planning on playing soon. Now that I think about it, a meeting might be nice to help me start out...) I live down in Port Perry. 1/2 hr. from Oshawa? 1 hour from Toronto? No? Fine...
By the by, if we do have a get-together, let's make sure we bring some non-alcoholic beverages, eh? I am only 16
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Here in Windsor. We could try a triangulation of all locations and come up with something in the middle.

Sadly the Nisbet Inn B&B has been sold and closed here in Windsor. It was a great venu for ITM.

Outside of SteveK, Col, and myself anybody else going to Goderich here?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

MarkB wrote:Sadly the Nisbet Inn B&B has been sold and closed here in Windsor. It was a great venu for ITM.
That's a shame!
Outside of SteveK, Col, and myself anybody else going to Goderich here?
There's a thread on the whistle forum with a couple more people on it -- labeled "Celtic College", I believe.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
pippip

where ????

Post by pippip »

Hello, there. I live close to Owen Sound and am new to this forum stuff. Can anyone suggest good places to purchase good quality whistles? Either online or traditional music stores. I have only found a few possible sources but am open for any suggestions. I own a few whistles, but nothing outstanding. Thanks for any help anyone is willing to give. ( being a whistler is a lonely life at times isn't it ?, lol )
myra

Post by myra »

I'm in Peterborough - that's pretty central.....

I'll be at Blue Skies Folk Festival this summer, calling the square dances - that's pretty central, too.

Cheers
Myra
Ballyfingers

Post by Ballyfingers »

I'm in Ottawa. I'll be at the Chris Langan weekend.
Craig
Mr. Mercer

Post by Mr. Mercer »

Hi, I'm in North Bay for the summer. You're going to have to tell me about any sessions happening in town! Or if we are the sessun... where do we meet? I'm afraid I don't have years and years of experience with the whistle or flute, only been playing those with any measure of regularity for a year or so. However I have been playing some type of instrument since I was 3... from violin to jass sax, I have a decent range under my belt. So I might not have the repretoire, but I'd love to get together and play a little. If nothing else, I can play some guitar for you to whistle over.

Pass on a PM if you're still in North Bay

Cheers--

ps - I'm from Gander Newfoundland, and have been living in Sudbury for the past... 20 odd years.
and I just found a place in North Bay that actually has strongbow on tap!!!! I haven't had that since I was in the UK... I almost cried tears of joy ;).
Ballyfingers

Post by Ballyfingers »

Ballyfingers wrote:I'm in Ottawa. I'll be at the Chris Langan weekend.
Craig
I wrote a quick review of my experience at the CLW on my new blog.
http://irishmusicottawa.blogspot.com/