MikeyLikesIt
antispam: No

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Thanks for asking Audrey. :wink:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

This doesn't pertain directly to music, but I figured it's also worth mentioning that beginning Irish language classes are now being offered in Santa Cruz! The teacher is Mary McLaughlin, who wrote the great book "Singing in Irish Gaelic." Here's her website, for those who are interested:

http://www.marymclaughlin.com/

(Edited to add that I hope this doesn't constitute "advertising." If it does, feel free to delete it. I only mention it because people who are interested in Irish music are often interested in the language as well, and Irish classes aren't easy to find in this area)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Grack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

White Cockade Session - this Sunday, March 5th !!!

Post by Grack »

Hey all....

Session at the White Cockade in Boulder Creek again this Sunday, March 5th!!! Hope you can make it! We're doing it every 1st and 3rd Sunday now.

I made a little web site for the sessions...

http://www.gregroe.com/thewhitecockade/sessions.html

I put a tune list up there...but it's not all that serious, was just playing around...so don't pay much attention to that part. I'd like to get some standards posted eventually.

The schedule and link to the pub are up there though... Should have the same people as last month (hopefully that includes you again, Mike!) as well as Julie, a local hammer dulcimer player...and maybe a fiddle player... and hopefully some of you on here as well...
Redwolf

Re: White Cockade Session - this Sunday, March 5th !!!

Post by Redwolf »

Grack wrote:Hey all....

Session at the White Cockade in Boulder Creek again this Sunday, March 5th!!! Hope you can make it! We're doing it every 1st and 3rd Sunday now.

I made a little web site for the sessions...

http://www.gregroe.com/thewhitecockade/sessions.html

I put a tune list up there...but it's not all that serious, was just playing around...so don't pay much attention to that part. I'd like to get some standards posted eventually.

The schedule and link to the pub are up there though... Should have the same people as last month (hopefully that includes you again, Mike!) as well as Julie, a local hammer dulcimer player...and maybe a fiddle player... and hopefully some of you on here as well...
Wish I could be there, but my daughter's in the county spelling bee that afternoon, and then I'm doing Evensong that evening. How did my Sundays ever get so busy!?

We'll get this in the CCÉ newsletter for you, though.

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Yay! Check out the great article on the Irish music scene in the Sentinel today (they got your session in there, Greg)!

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archiv ... 1style.htm

Redwolf
Grack

Post by Grack »

Thanks for posting!
Bob Denton

2nd annual Byington Winery Session

Post by Bob Denton »

We are havinge the 2nd annual Byington winery session on Saturday, July 29th from 1-5 pm.

Those of you that attended last year know what a great location it is. There are BBQ grills and tables for a picnic lunch and we'll have wine and snacks for the musicians.

This is an "advanced" session but all are welcome. Last year we had some fine musicians from both sides of the "Hill".

Give me a call if you have any questions: 831-420-7960 I can be reached at work at 831-335-8128 e-mail at bob (at) sinkthestink.com

Cya!

Bob

www.byington.com

DIRECTIONS:
From the Bay Area take Highway 17 to Santa Cruz. Exit at Bear Creek Road and travel uphill for 5.5 miles. Look for us on the left side of the road.

From Santa Cruz take Highway 17 to San Jose. Exit on Summit Road and turn left over the Highway. Continue on Summit until it dead-ends at Bear Creek Rd. Turn left on Bear Creek Rd. and continue approximately 2 miles. Look for us on the left side of the road.

Hope to see you there!

[/url]
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

If you happen to find yourself in Santa Cruz on December 9 or 10, you'll want to check this out:

http://www.calvarysantacruz.org/newslet ... hflyer.pdf

It's going to be a wonderful concert!

Also, there's a new session in Santa Cruz on Wednesday nights at Coastlines Brewery, 120 Union Street between Center and Cedar in Downtown Santa Cruz. Contact andreal@baymoon.com for more information.

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It's not a session, but it benefits musicians, and it's definitely Irish: If you happen to be in this area on Sunday, April 27, come to the Irish film festival at Cabrillo College (Forum 450) in Aptos, presented by the Clifford-Hoban Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann. Free admission and free parking. Refreshment sales and free-will donations to provide scholarships for Community Music School's Celtic Music Summer Camps (usually we're able to provide two scholarships...one to the children's camp and one to the teen camp). Featured films this year are:

Cré na Cille (Graveyard Clay): A beautifully shot and darkly funny rendition of an Irish literary classic by renowned author Mairtín Ó Cadhain. In Irish, with English subtitles.

Rí an Fhocail (King of the Word): A documentary on the life of author and revolutionary Mairtín Ó Cadhain (author of Cré na Cille). In Irish and English, with subtitles.

Alive, Alive O: Named "Documentary of the Year" of 2001 by Ireland's Sunday Tribune, this film looks at the lives of Dublin's market vendors. In English.

New Boy: Based on a short story by Roddy Doyle, this poignant and comedic short film deftly captures the experience of being the new kid in school through the eyes of Joseph, a nine-year-old African boy. In English.

Studs: In this comedy, it's another bleak mid-winter Sunday and the Emmet Rovers amateur football team is losing again. Bubbles, the team captain who once played in the big league, is threatening to quit altogether when a mysterious stranger, Walter Keegan (the terrific Brendan Gleeson), appears looking to fill the vacant job of team manager.... In English.

If you come to the film festival, stop by the refreshment table and say hi to me!

Redwolf
Grack

Post by Grack »

Thanks for the info. I'll be there!