National Harbor, MD?

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

National Harbor, MD?

Post by AaronFW »

I’ll be up in National Harbor, MD for most of next week. Does anyone know nearby sessions? I looked on TheSession.org, but none of the ones listed would fit my time frame (that is, none were going on next week). Specifically looking for sessions that might occur during July 15-19.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: National Harbor, MD?

Post by PB+J »

You are in my neck of the woods more or less. Wherever you try to go traffic will likely be a disaster. The DC beltway has constantly bad traffic, like worse than Los Angeles

There is a session in Alexandria, across the bridge form national harbor, but most likely the regular players will be at at the local Comhaltas MAD week, which starts the afternoon of the 15th. You might look at the link

http://www.ccepotomac.org/MADWeek/cce-madweekhome.html

I’ll be there. I’ve never done it before and have no idea what to expect, but they do list sessions

National harbor is at roughly six am on the beltway circle. MAD Week is at roughly noon. It’d be roughly half an hour traffic willing.

People sometimes say “oh there’s a session near you, ten miles away” and I think yeah but it’s off the beltway and across the legion bridge and at rush hour it’d be faster to walk!
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Damn. I wish I could just drop the conference that is taking me to National Harbor and just go to MAD.

Regarding transportation, I somewhat expected it might not be great. So it is good to have that confirmed.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

AaronFW wrote:Damn. I wish I could just drop the conference that is taking me to National Harbor and just go to MAD.

Regarding transportation, I somewhat expected it might not be great. So it is good to have that confirmed.
It can be fine at off hours but "rush hour" is more and more extended.